Changing from Sand to Fluorite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Changing from Sand to Fluorite

Howdy.

Okay, so, newb here. Lemme start with that I have a 20 gallon tank that's been running for about three years now. I started with gravel and changed to sand about a year in or so and that's what's still in there now, a white sand. I don't mind the sand, except that it kills my filters and I'm considering a fish that likes to kick up substrate.

So I've been eyeing fluorite, it looks a little heavier than sand and if that's the case then I'm hoping it won't get sucked into the filter so easily. My problem is how do I switch from sand to fluorite? With the initial change to sand I put a bunch of gravel into a nylon and let it hang in the tank for a few weeks, the transition was smooth and no fish were lost.

But sand would fall through the nylon, wouldn't it? So how do I switch from it to fluorite while keeping the beneficial bacteria?

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachella View Post
Howdy.

Okay, so, newb here. Lemme start with that I have a 20 gallon tank that's been running for about three years now. I started with gravel and changed to sand about a year in or so and that's what's still in there now, a white sand. I don't mind the sand, except that it kills my filters and I'm considering a fish that likes to kick up substrate.

So I've been eyeing fluorite, it looks a little heavier than sand and if that's the case then I'm hoping it won't get sucked into the filter so easily. My problem is how do I switch from sand to fluorite? With the initial change to sand I put a bunch of gravel into a nylon and let it hang in the tank for a few weeks, the transition was smooth and no fish were lost.

But sand would fall through the nylon, wouldn't it? So how do I switch from it to fluorite while keeping the beneficial bacteria?

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?

You can probably leave about a 1/4" or less of the original sand on the bottom and still gain the benefits of the beneficial bacteria in the sand. The sand probably has lots of mulm which should offset any cycling issues. As long as you have at least a 2-2 1/2" cap of fluorite, I cannot imagine you would have issues with that 1/4 layer of sand getting kicked up. Usually the smaller substrate settles on the bottom and the larger grained substrate tends to remain on top. Since the sand a much smaller grain than the fluorite and is already on the bottom, you should not have any issues. Since the fluorite is larger grained, you should not have any compaction issues either. I would ensure that you plant some deep rooting plants just in case. Amazon swords, cryptocornes, etc., would work well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Alright! I'll try it that way. Thanks a lot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 04:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachella View Post
Alright! I'll try it that way. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

Not sure what you use to do water changes but a hose will suck the sand right out and not cause a cloudy mess like scooping would. Just put the end of the hose into a bucket so you dont send the sand down a plumbing drain.

Im interesting in doing this to my 20 also. Please post how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
fluorite, sand, switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode