Almost ready to go on my first tank! Which Aqua Soil (or substrate) is the best - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Almost ready to go on my first tank! Which Aqua Soil (or substrate) is the best

Hey there,

So I want to have the best substrate with the least amount of problems and maintenance. I was set on ADA amazonia, but I've been hearing conflicting reports. For instance Tom Barr uses something else... Also I've heard of floromax, Eco Complete etc. I have done several google searches for aqua soil and I'm only coming up with ADA Amazonia...

I have a 75g high tech; which will be highlight, injected etc.

Another thing is that here locally I can pick up some Black Diamond Blasting sand or w/e its called and maybe mix it with some aqua soil (save money).

Also can you tell me where to get the brands you may suggest. Thank you ahead of time

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Amazonia Aquasoil is the best I have seen used by many users on this site. If you get it from the ADA Website its $30 a bag plus shipping (that is where it hurts)

https://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?...cPath=76_12_21

For your 75 gallon you are probably going to want 4 bags (and that is with using the sand)

Grand total with shipping going to run you close to $180

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Torn down 10/2018

Current Build
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Amazonia is proven. There is no risk. Tom Barr undoubtedly has knowledge but he has a tendency towards fanboyism. He doesn't like this that and the other and his rational is always based on cost.

Oftentimes, we get what we pay for.

Waddo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cool thanks for the info. I don't seem to be finding any good aqua soils that are cheaper. I see that there is Mr. Aqua and something like S.T.I international. Even though I do agree that ADA seems to be the best but at 180 for a tank I'm going in another direction. I have been doing some research and it seems that if you get the process down of mineralizeing soil, this may be even better than aqua soil.

Unless I find more info, I believe I'm going to go with Turface Grey. I found a guy who has a couple hundred pounds of the stuff. Turface Grey isnt made anymore so I feel pretty lucky as the red stuff doesn't seem to look all that great.

Any one else whos new and looking at substrates, I'd encourage you all to read up on mineralized soil, Oil dry (something like that), Turface, SMS (soil master select) which is Turface now, Akadama, Lava Rock Substrate, Kitty Litter, and BDBS (black diamond blasting sand). These seem to be the most popular alternatives to ADA Amazonia.

So I'm going to go with turface for now, if anyone has any pointers I'd like to hear from you. I was thinking that it'd be a good thing to mix soils to get some different textures for the roots. Like maybe mix in 5percent BDBS, and maybe a bag of Amazonia? They are all similar color.

Also when using Turface does anyone know the best way to feed the roots. I hear that osmocote plus and plant stick are popular or root tabs etc. Which one is the best, and is there a better way to supply the substrate with ferts?

Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval Aquasoil is another option and may be more cost effective

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode