Black Diamond Sand and cories? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Diamond Sand and cories?

Hello all,
I have read around here that Black Diamond sand is a great substrate. I agree, and want to use it in my 10. However, I have heard that it is too "scratchy" for cories. Does anyone have experience using it in a tank with cories?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just had athread going about this sand asking questions I did get a reply of a guy who keeps it with Cory cats and said they love sifting threw it search for the thread
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah I use it and have no issues with my corys.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any substrate is fine for corys. Issues with whiskers mainly come from bad water quality. I use blasting sand with mine, and they are just fine.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
Any substrate is fine for corys. Issues with whiskers mainly come from bad water quality. I use blasting sand with mine, and they are just fine.
+1. My cories are fine in bdbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use it with Corys, and they love it! Their barbels have actually grown since I got them. They like sifting through it, and I think the darker color makes them feel more secure.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 AM
Planted Member

Does anyone by chance know where to get black diamond sand? I live in Arizona, I checked Home Depot and lowes and they looked at my like I was crazy, didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

I googled for tractor supplies near me, and the closest that showed up to me is hours away. Guess I'm just SOL haha
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've used the fine and medium grade black diamond with them just fine.

Tractor Supply is the provider for it. Any black blasting sand is good though.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Blackdiamond blasting sand can also be found under Black Beauty sand and is the same coal slag material

Bump: do you have a harbor freight near you?

, 33g retired
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Planted Member

Oh my gosh you're a life saver! I had never heard of harbor freight before but I googled it and found one kinda close! They carry black diamond, so I will be taking back the 2 $20 bags of sand I bought yesterday haha. I'm so excited!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Planted Member

Thank you rebel!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarraa View Post
Thank you rebel!!
no problem glad i could help. and yea many people dont have a tractor supply or freight store besides harbor freight near them and the closes to me is tractor supply but my cousin is near harbor freight and i found they had it when my tractor supply was out last week

Bump: just make sure you get the 20/40 minimum. the 12/40 is a little bigger and would help hold plants better, for the 20/40 can be a little on the light side if you clean the bottom or glass sides often as i have found out with me experimenting on my 33long

, 33g retired
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

If HF does not work out, you could also try a tool rental store that has shot blasting tools for rent. They should also stock it there.

I learned the hard way that I am only a water keeper!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Planted Member

So I went to harbor freight and the black diamond they have there was different...it said on the bag it has to stay dry. Not sure if it would've made a difference but it made me nervous so I didn't get it. I got black aquarium sand cheaper than normal, I paid $11 for a 25 pound bag so I'm just gonna stick with that. I'd rather be safe than sorry ha
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarraa View Post
So I went to harbor freight and the black diamond they have there was different...it said on the bag it has to stay dry.
The name brand black diamond blasting abrasive says it has to stay dry as well (visible on the back of the bag in the photo on the tractor supply company website), but I think that's just if you need the right consistency for sand blasting. Can anyone confirm that?

I checked the harbor freight website and only saw aluminum oxide abrasive media listed and it was about $1/pound. I'm pretty sure coal slag wouldn't be aluminum oxide so I don't think it's the same stuff. Did you find it on the website when you looked or just in the store.

Edit:
Just found out that black diamond also makes an aluminum oxide abrasive that is different and more expensive than the coal slag.

Tags
black diamond sand, cories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode