Gravel ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Gravel ideas

I have a new aquarium coming in for 2 razer back musk turtles. Im looking to go for a gravel look but I also want to grow some stem plants. Im currently using black eco complete.

I think im going to build a small section in the back with eco complete and cap it with river gravel.

Does anyone have any setups like this? hows it working? can anything grow well in gravel only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just throw in some Anacharis(or plant) as most (water)turtles like to eat it.
That may save them from eating any other plants you try.
Unless you are feeding them in another container you will likely need to vac the gravel each week in there. The larger gravel works best for turtles(pea gravel)as it can be cleaned more easily.
You might try using an Anubias Nana tied to wood. Should do well in there.
Plant any that you want to try in the center so they can go around the plant without up rooting it. It may help. Same thing with the wood the Anubias is on.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
They have been living in my 120 for a little over a year. Mainly they dig up some plants, but I think it was because they heard snails in the gravel. They eat snails like its going out of style. I have java fern and anubis and moss currently. As well as a few varieties of stem plants.

Would Anacharis stay planted in large gravel? or should I plant it in the back, in the eco complete? I think I actually have some of that in there already!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
That is a floating type of plant which doesn't get any good roots on it, but some people plant it anyway. Since it doesn't get good roots it should do in either type substrate.
When I had a larger tank and had it I would put some under wood with about the same amount sticking out on both sides and it grows up from there. I tend to like the floating Hortworth more for that. It's a floating type plant also.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode