Charging Safe T Sorb w/vermicompost? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Charging Safe T Sorb w/vermicompost?

Has anyone ever done this? please tell me how that worked for you. I've read a lot about people putting worm castings under substrate in a dirted tank, but nothing about using it to initially charge a clay substrate.

I'm no expert, so let me know if I'm on the wrong track here- I've got a planted 20L w/malaysian trumpet snails, cherry barb and kuhli loaches. It's just gravel substrate, I've been doing EI dosing (dry ferts) and root tabs. I want to switch to a nutrient-rich substrate, and soon will be moving so figure that's a good time as I will have to break down the tank anyway.

I have read a lot about using Safe T Sorb. I have a ready supply of vermicompost from my worm bin (all organic). I'd love to use this stuff for my aquarium plants, if its safe. My idea is to sift the Safe T Sorb through a window screen to get out the dust and smallest particles, soak it in a bucket with the vermicompost (or make worm tea and soak in that) for the 2 weeks before my move. On moving day, to mix part of the existing gravel in the tank w/the charged Safe T Sorb, reset the tank up, let filter run a few hours, then move the fishes back in. (They will be waiting in 5 gal bucket w/sponge filter in meantime)

I have a few concerns though. I've read that using worm poo can initially cause high ammonia, enough to kill the plants. If I do water changes on the Safe T Sorb bucket when done soaking, can that remove enough ammonia before adding back into the tank? I'm still expecting to get diatoms or something, but is it going to cycle my tank again? Since I'm moving everything back in- driftwood, plants, filter media- I won't loose my bacteria colony, right? I just want to know this won't be dangerous for my fish.

I've also read Safe T Sorb will lower the pH and this is something I want- my tapwater has always been near 8 and I'd rather have lower pH in the tank but is it going to be stable- will it bounce around every time I do a water change? I thought at first to do lots of testing to monitor the pH, ammonia, nitrates etc, and to keep doing weekly water changes but less- maybe 20 or 25% (instead of the 50% I was doing with EI) and keep an eye on the plants to see what nutrients they might be lacking- but my end goal here is to have the fish poo+substrate feed the plants instead of constantly dosing ferts.

Is this all possible or am I missing something key. Thanks. I did read a lot but still admit to not always understanding the whole picture...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
STS lowering the pH is a temporary effect, eventually the tank will balance out to your tap water pH if you use straight tap water at WC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok so is this just a terrible idea, or are there no replies because no one has tried it?
I'm not the best aquarist so I'm not sure if I ought to risk doing something untried... maybe better to just charge w/the dry ferts. Anyone...?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I recently setup my growout with Safe T Sorb. However I charged it with Osmocote on the bottom instead. From my readings, safe t sorb is pretty much the cheapest highest cec material that can be used as substrate. One thing I will add is that it is light. Almost too light for my liking. Some of my plants have issues staying put in 2-3 inches of it. I even increased some areas to 4" but it didn't really help for my tank.

I would assume that if you setup your tank without any fauna, you can let the safe t sorb setup and charge. I did this for about a month and then heavily planted my tank. The ammonia readings I get is due to me adding ammonia to help fuel the plants.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks. I've been letting it sit in bucket with ferts soaking for 10 days, now. Thought of adding root tabs below as well when I put it in the tank. Am going to cap with 1-2" of fine gravel from my old tank, so I hope that will make it easier to plant in, having heavier substrate on top?

I was too uncertain about unknown variables to try charging it with the vermicompost.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode