Substrate Change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate Change

Hi All,

I set up a 55litre tank just over a year ago when I was a bit new to the hobby and it only used sand. I've just set up a new 40 litre tank and have used Aquasoil and arranged things better.

Is there any way I can change the substrate in my older tank to use Aquasoil without moving this fish somewhere? I understand that the Aquasoil causes an amonia spike so would I be best to avoid doing this? Would it be best to do half the tank, leave it to settle and then do the rest?

I basically want to rescape the tank but this is the first step, if it can't be done then I will have to live with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I would think you'll have to live with it. The tank balance would go nutz changing substrate stocked. Others may think it to be doable but I have added material only, not removed down to the glass before and replaced. The existing bacteria if buried to deep covering the sand would die and go toxic in the tank too. IMO (been known to be wrong)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Toadeh:

I am just finishing changing my 55 gallon over to Aquasoil as I had on my 29 gallon.

Yes, there is a huge ammonia spike and daily water changes for two weeks or so help a lot, but the fish won't survive this. The ammonia is VERY high!! You will have to find a place for them for this time period and then slowly introduce them into it while your tank cycles. IMO the wait and the work is well worth the change. The Aquasoil is a great substrate that the plant really love.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
You don't have to have another tank. Get one of those plastic storage tubs. Transfer your tank water and some of the existing sub into it then the fish.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode