Cycling ADA - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
Cycling ADA

Im aware of the shrimpnow method for cycling AS however my tap water comes out at 2 ppm ammonia. So should i still do the water changes or just add the water and let it be. I will be getting some prime to help, but how much of a difference is that going to make?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
First make sure you really do have 2 ppm of ammonia in the tap water. As far as I can find by googling, 0.2 ppm is the accepted limit for ammonia/ammonium in drinking water.

You don't need to cycle planted tanks anyway. Just plant heavily, with stem plants, fill the tank, and wait a week or two before adding a few fish. Add a few more each week until you reach the fish loading you want. With Aquasoil it is recommended that you do big water changes a couple of times a week for a few weeks to get rid of excessive leached ammonia from the substrate.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
We had to restart a tank it has AS fairly new tank. I lost the filter so sort of followed the matrix they use. Was fighting a Scud. Refill and did several water changes. Then on the 3rd day rinsed out a sponge filter from another tank. Let all the mulm settle in the bucket siphoned it out. The we strained this water so it was not full of debris. Added it to the restart tank. 2 days later fish and shrimp. That water is fine. I check every day. Its amazing how this method works. Our tap is 1.0 Ammonia.
Since this was a restart we were not dealing with the leeching issue. But wow that took forever to settle/clear up. At first we/me were using some very strong words regarding AS and the leeching LOL

Karen / Cocobid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
Yes its 2 ppm ive tested it 3 times, its a well so whats accepted for public drinking waer doesnt really apply here

click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
i'm kind of lazy. I just move an established biowheel to one of the tanks and forget about it. test it periodically to see when it's ready.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode