Setting up BDBS substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Setting up BDBS substrate

I've got a new 75g tank and 150 lbs of black diamond blasting sand. I use black diamond on my 30g and loved it. I also used osmocote plus root tabs. However, with a new tank, I don't think I need to use root tabs this time around. I was thinking of just sprinkling osmocote plus around the bottom of the tank and covering it in sand. Is that acceptable? Is there anything else I should include? I know gel caps are generally just to get the fert into the substrate. Also, if I just sprinkle osmocote plus in there, how much should I use?

They sell 3 lb packages of osmocote at my local Lowes for $10 or something like that.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_557113-446-2...1&Ntt=osmocote

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Be careful, I did that and put a little too much and had some crazy ammonia, luckily no fish in the tank though. Since then I've gone back to using the capsules in a 6 inch radius rule.

You can also cut the end of a 5 ml syringe, put about 1ml of osmocote in and just inject it under the black diamond where needed.
I use a syringe like that to inject my capsules deep into the dirt layer with minimal disturbance of the substrate.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was going to use the granules. How would you inject osmocote? Is there a liquid form? A 6" radius doesn't seem hard. I may just count out a couple balls of osmocote and do a grid pattern, but without the capsule (I have some for reference though). The capsule is just unnecessary since the tank isn't flooded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have placed one bead or two of them under each plant with tweezers before.
I do have 10g tanks so it not that big of a deal.
Placing them while it's not wet yet is fine for now, but then what are you going to do later when you replace them ? It may be why they come in capsules.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
How would you inject osmocote? Is there a liquid form?
By cutting the end of the syringe right off, ( so that the opening is the full width of the syringe ID) you can just load a few beads in the syringe, hold your finger over the open end so they don't fall out, bury the syringe in the substrate and inject all the beads to very bottom of the tank without a large substrate disturbance.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Alright, alright, alright. I get it now. I will definitely keep that in mind if I do decide to inject them post flooding. Seems like a good alternative to gel capsules.

Also, a pack of gel capsules is $5 for 500 shipped online. So combined with my $10 of Osmocote I bought, I may just make my own root tabs for future use. Also, I read the instructions on the osmocote and it said 1 cap for every 4 sqft. So a cap and a half on my 75g isn't that much. I'll use that and the root tabs I have for reference on how much to spread amongst the bottom. A 6" radius wouldn't use very many for the whole tank either.

I've had a few balls surface in my 30g and I just push them down with tweezers. So that is something I'm comfortable doing.

I'll proceed with caution and go lighter to not overdo it. I also have some very well established media, so it should handle the ammonia if there is any.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think those instructions on the osmocote are for terrestrial purposes though, not aquarium.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
I think those instructions on the osmocote are for terrestrial purposes though, not aquarium.
Most definitely. I'll space out some root tabs and see how many granules I am looking at though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode