Substrate for fish only. Where to get it cheap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Substrate for fish only. Where to get it cheap

I am currently selling off my reef tank stuff out of my 90 to go freshwater. Im looking to just have a community tank. Nothing special.

I want to get a substrate the color of Flourite, around the same size, but cheap. Basically not looking to spend more than $25 for a 20LB bag.

Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Since the early 1970's I have had aquariums, salt for the first 30+years. Long story short version. I felt the need for some fancy goldfish, to help spirits while my Mom declined.
Fast forward to at least 9+aquariums later. Save your money if you were into reefs you will be bitten by the planted tank bug!!! You will start drooling over the lush Dutch inspired tanks or seeking replication of a Takashi Amano.
You might look into lateral material made from mineralized top soil that many are making and selling here. That would cut your costs significantly. Top it with sand blasting sand. If you are interested we can chat. It would help if you you knew what you wanted to keep in this community tank. Unlike salt freshwater soils can/do enhance the type of fish environment dramatically effecting Ph., etc.
The type of rock also effect the water table.
That is a big tank you have so many options, I'm jealous.

Was chatting with a very old woman about aquariums the other day. Very interesting she said that they would pack the bottom of aquariums in clay and lay sandy soil over it and a cover in tiny tiny stones.

Karen / Cocobid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hear you. I have been doing reef tanks for over 12 years. One of my ballasts gave out and one halide only fires half way. Since I lost my job I no longer have the money for up keep.

I just sold off my corals rock.

I want to convert this to FW with Tetras, Angels and Guppies. Just something that doesnt cost alot to keep up. I already have a 3o Hex Planted tank.

I just want a decent natural looking gravel that isnt expensive.

Here is a pic of my 90 as of a few weeks ago.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Red Flint Gravel

http://www.redflint.com
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh man nice tank!!! Sorry about your Job
Pool sand is nice I have it one of the planted tank with a layer of Fluorite under the sand. You could use the mineralized method.This is a very healthy tank been up for 2.5 years. Down here a bag from a pool co is something like 50lbs 20$ Something like that very economical. This is not super fine or course. Has a nice look.
You could blend something else in to make it more red or black.

Angels as they mature can get real aggressive when mixed with smaller fish.
That tank would make a perfect dutch method deep and lush with plants. Not to mention you may have some etching on the glass from salt issues. That would help hide that. Are you going to keep the sump working? I'm dreaming of all you could do to this tank. Co2 down in the sump later on. Just sheer green ness.....rich reds deep in the tank. Nice woods. That would be a great angel or cichlid tank. Both are quite economical to obtain. Folks are always posting for sale.
I've had some big salt tanks before and they can turn into a money pit!!!!!

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Red Flint Gravel

http://www.redflint.com

Thats what I just got today. I got 2 50LB bags for $15 each.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobid View Post
Oh man nice tank!!! Sorry about your Job
Pool sand is nice I have it one of the planted tank with a layer of Fluorite under the sand. You could use the mineralized method.This is a very healthy tank been up for 2.5 years. Down here a bag from a pool co is something like 50lbs 20$ Something like that very economical. This is not super fine or course. Has a nice look.
You could blend something else in to make it more red or black.

Angels as they mature can get real aggressive when mixed with smaller fish.
That tank would make a perfect dutch method deep and lush with plants. Not to mention you may have some etching on the glass from salt issues. That would help hide that. Are you going to keep the sump working? I'm dreaming of all you could do to this tank. Co2 down in the sump later on. Just sheer green ness.....rich reds deep in the tank. Nice woods. That would be a great angel or cichlid tank. Both are quite economical to obtain. Folks are always posting for sale.
I've had some big salt tanks before and they can turn into a money pit!!!!!

I am going to keep the sump running to give the tank more water volume.
I have already had ideas and was tempted topiece together another C02 kit. Maybe later down the line after I find work and have the extra money.

The reef was going strong for a total of 9 years. It saw one move and setup to the current picture. The cost of salt at $60, and the calcium, yet alone the price of corals,fish, halide bulb replacment every 12 months. It does get expensive, but it is worth it.

I will ahve to keep my eyes peeled in the For sale area.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
always sms turface for 11-25 for 50 pounds. 3m colorquartz comes in a few colors.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perfect see every region has there own economical substrate alternatives. But I would use some sort of nourishment for a bottom layer. This is a step I strongly suggest that you don't skip you will regret it later. Your plants need it other wise you will have to supply them thought the water column. That can get expensive.
Glad to hear you are keeping the sump. We have a HOB Refuge on the back of the 30G RAOK tank, works like a champ for biological & mech.
9 years thats like a child.

Sounds like you are on a new path.
Karen

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wont need anyhting else as far as substrate goes. It is going to be a community only tank, no live plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode