What substrate to use for a low tech tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What substrate to use for a low tech tank?

Hello;

I am sure this question has been answered before, but I am setting up a 35 gallon low tech tank. I will be using 1.5-2 wpg, but I need to determine what substrate to use. Most of the traditional substrates (flourite, eco-complete) are really quite pricey (at least where I have saw them in Canada) So I am considering using either Laterite or mineralized soil. I have seen some great results using MS, but have also read that it is not recommended for beginners, which is what I am. I would top either off with sand.

I have also been toying with the idea of using egg crating to prevent fish from digging and disturbing the soil, but am afraid of the plants roots getting too tangled in this, and making replanting too difficult.

Thoughts on both of these would be much appreciated, and sorry if these questions have already been answered.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
there are alot of people that are using topsoil in low tech tanks. I am switching my father in laws tank to that in a few weeks. topping off with sand is a good idea too.. it holds the plants well.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i use pool filter sand about 7$ for 50#

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It seems like it is a good substrate once all has got going, just fear of huge algae problems during start up.

I would only like ~1/2 of the tank planted, so I'm considering using floating plants to help reduce the algae while the other plants get established. Would this be possible?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I used potting soil topped with Flourite in my low tech 20. I never dose fertilizers into the water column or add CO2 or Excel, but have never had any deficiency in my plants and they grow like crazy. The soil can make the tank a bit messy when you pull a plant, but the pros outweigh the cons IMO.
Mineralized topsoil or ADA Aquasoil are both good too, both requiring minimal water column fertilization

Floating plants will definitely help keep algae at bay. Something like duckweed or Salvinia that grows fast will suck up any nutrients that algae need to get established.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

Hey legomaniac, I'm in the process of doing the same in a 29 except with Eco-complete on top. What kind of topsoil did you use and how much?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Let's see, I used Fertilome Seedling and Cutting Starter. I bought a 5lb bag, but I think I only used half of it.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
algae problems usually stem from improper soil or soil sifting. when I did mine I sifted the soil well prior to adding to the tank.. worked great, no green water or anything. regular algae can happen with any set up.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

OK, i'll bite; what does one get from sifting the soil?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode