Q about Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Q about Flourite

Hi

Coles Notes: I want to run flourite capped by aquarium gravel (about 5 m in size). Will this work well or is there a better route? I like the look of the natural gravel and have corry's in the tank.

Long Version.

I have a 75 gal lightly planted tank that i'm planning to do a substrate change on (do to need more than wants). The tank is running approx 1.6w/g of t5 lighting, pressurized co2, EI dosed (1/2 of required dose).

The tank is fairly heavily stocked, with cardinal tetra's, rummy noses, bosmani rainbows, precox rainbows, a pair of blue rams, endlers, juli cory's, otto's and an small army of amano shrimps (like 40 of them).

Currently i'm running sand blasting gravel in the tank with a bunch of jobe sticks to keep the plants happy. Unfortunally, the gravel seems to contain a little but of calcium as it is sending my kh through the roof. KH will rise from 4 to 8 in about 4 days.... tap water here has a kh of approx 1 and gh of approx 2... so time to replace the substrate.

I really do like the "light / natural" colour of the sand blasting gravel, and it goes really well with the dark coloured driftwood............ so black substrates defently won't look right in this tank

Now, after doing some reading, I've decided on

laying down 1 - 1.5" of the plastic crate. I am going to fill this crate with flourite. Then i'm going to top this all off with some "natural river rock" I purchased at the local aquarium store. the bag says that it is epoxy coated and will not alter ph or kh..... I dumped some into my 10 gal right now and will double check the kh values in a week.

The reason for doing the above is twofold.
a) the flourite is too sharp for the corry's........ hence the river rock cap
b) I don't like the dark substrate, hence the river rock cap.

Do you think this will work well? shoudl I also drop in a box of laterite mixed into the top layer of river rock to give the shallow root feeders some nutrition too???

Also, the reason for the plastic crate (those light diffuser pannels) is so that when you gravel vac, I won't mix the substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
In my tank I have mostly swords which are considered root feeders. I have flourite substrate and dose ei with pressurized co2. The plants will pull the nutrients from wherever they can get it. Yes the swords prefer to feed through the roots but I have swords that have grown out of my tank with just dosing in the water column. If you wanted to run with the flourite and the gravel cap by itself it would be just fine.

There are other people on the board who have tanks setup with just pool filter sand and don't use any root tabs, dosing only the water column and have no problems.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Is your Kh peaking at 8 or continuing to rise.

A Kh of 8 would be just fine and no reason to change your gravel.

[/off-rant]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
continuing to rise....... I usually only let it get up to 7 before I "chicken out" and do a huge water change.... I know once I hit 8, some of the fish (endlers) are gasping for air because of the co2 injection.

if I could keep the substrate, I would love to
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Just increase water surface agitation or add an airstone in. My kh and gh are over 11 out of the tap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode