White sand suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
White sand suggestions

I am thinking of setting up my 20 gallon as an island, with a large stone in the middle and leafy plants around the periphery. I want to surround this little oasis (eco-complete substrate) with a nice white sand that is reminiscent of Caribbean bliss...

Any suggestions for a cheap white sand that would look somewhat natural and vibrant that would work well in freshwater? Aragonite will spike my pH and is no good for my uses. Play sand is a bit dark and rocky...

Just having a heck of a time finding something good :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
Pool filter sand if you click my 15G link in my siggy you can see it

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

wonderful! that is it! where can i buy this, a pool specialty store or any large hardware distributor like Lowes, HD, menards?

what brand is it or what type of sand at the very least? I'm guessing many varieties of ''pool filter sand" exist.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just walked into the local pool store and asked for a bag LOL it was only $7.50 for a 50 pound bag too YESsssssss.. I just rinsed it a few times in the sink and waalaa , the stuff is great ...

-
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright! I know right where a pool store is. I'll swing by it tomorrow! thanks so much for your suggestion

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No problem , I got the idea from here too LOL

-
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been doing some research and silica sand is a breeding ground for diatom algae. Have you experienced this? Should I be expecting a problem? I am not sure I really want an army of snails to thwart this concern... *sigh*

Any alternatives? Aragonite in saltwater tanks is their solution, but that would kill my CRS or render them sterile at the very least :/

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
20/20 or just #20 is the largest grain size and what you want. Diatom algae will appear in a planted tank sand or not from time to time as the chemistry of the water changes. None of us are perfect. I've been reading on the subject of sand as a substrate for a new project tank.
Raking the surface (moving it a bit) from time to time (weekly water changes) just to stir the surface a little and it should be good.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot #20 white pool filter sand.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
ADA has some sand, but only two are a light color. These are the Nile and Branco Sand.
http://www.adgshop.com/Decorative_Sand_s/23.htm

There are different colors of pool filter sand. So, check it out before you purchase it. You can collect some of the spillage on the skids or floor where the sand is. Then you can compare them and then get the color that you like the best.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:19 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Left C is right. Some of the pool filter sand sold is more a cream color than solid white color. Estes makes a pure white marine sand that (as stated on the package) is supposed to be safe for fresh water planted tanks. I have no experience with it but I know Waterfaller uses it, so hopefully she will chime in about her experiences with it. It is not as cheap as pool filter sand. IME, I have used pool filter sand and am not convinced that the high silica content gives ongoing diatom algae. The diatom algae that I got when I set up a tank using it, lasted only 4-6 weeks which is normal for any new setup, and a otocat I put in the tank made short work of it. It was never an ongoing problem algae.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I really like pool filter sand. The stuff that I have purchased has been very clean with no dust at all, so I think that it is unlikely contribute much silica to water.

Does anybody know about grain sizes for pool filter sand? Are there different sizes? I would like to find something just a bit larger than the material that I have.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Estes makes a pure white marine sand that (as stated on the package) is supposed to be safe for fresh water planted tanks. I have no experience with it but I know Waterfaller uses it, so hopefully she will chime in about her experiences with it.
Yes I do, it's fine & very white. Does not raise PH in my experience. It needs to be wet before you use it, or it floats for a few days. I wet it in a bucket, and run my hands through it a few times a day to get it to settle.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I really like pool filter sand. The stuff that I have purchased has been very clean with no dust at all, so I think that it is unlikely contribute much silica to water.

Does anybody know about grain sizes for pool filter sand? Are there different sizes? I would like to find something just a bit larger than the material that I have.

I think that what most of us are using as far as pool filter sand goes is #20. There is supposedly a larger grain #16, but I have yet to find anybody who sells it or knows where to get it. Thats what I am after too, if you find some let me know.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I can not find white sand anywhere. Called 6 pool supply stores today. No one carries white. grrrr frustrating. Anyone have any ideas?

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode