Substrate for my first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate for my first planted tank

I am relatively new to planted tanks. I did have one 15G tank several years ago but was never serious about it.

I am starting a 46G bowfront tank and am overwhelmed by the choices of substrate. This tank will be heavily planted and have a CO2 system. Lighting is a Marineland Aquatic Plant LED. Once planted, I will add german blue rams and maybe a few angel fish.

What would be a good combination of substrates to start with for a newbie? Everyone has their opinion and am happy to read them all. thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
This is a really hard question to answer. There are tons of different substrates out there.
Do you wanna try dirt? I've never done it but I think I may give it a shot on a smaller tank.
I've used flourite and Safe-T-Sorb. I think they grow plants about the same. I've used fert tabs in both. I like the heavyness and the color of the flourite better though. The safe-t-sorb is extreamly cheap. I think it was 5 bucks for my entire 40B.

It is really up to what your willing to spend and what you like the look of. If you want somthing darker you may want to try some of the darker substrates... If you like sand you can go with that as well.

So I guess the question is what color are you looking for? Do you care to spend money on substrate or looking for a cheaper alternative?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
This is a really hard question to answer. There are tons of different substrates out there.
Do you wanna try dirt? I've never done it but I think I may give it a shot on a smaller tank.
I've used flourite and Safe-T-Sorb. I think they grow plants about the same. I've used fert tabs in both. I like the heavyness and the color of the flourite better though. The safe-t-sorb is extreamly cheap. I think it was 5 bucks for my entire 40B.

It is really up to what your willing to spend and what you like the look of. If you want somthing darker you may want to try some of the darker substrates... If you like sand you can go with that as well.

So I guess the question is what color are you looking for? Do you care to spend money on substrate or looking for a cheaper alternative?
I am currently leaning towards Flourite Black Sand... the cost isnt a big issue. I really like how the black substrates look. I was originally going to layer substrates and use a substrate heater but found that is unnecessary. The soils might be a little advanced for me at the moment so I will pass on those. Thanks for your thoughts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've been using eco-complete for years and have had a lot of success with it. Love the color as well.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode