How much substrate do you let show against the front glass? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much substrate do you let show against the front glass?

I'm scaping a tank with a high volume of substrate, and it is difficult to minimize the substrate level at the front glass without throwing off my whole setup.

Substrate is eco with a sand cap. I don't care if the substrates mix because this tank will be carpeted.

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/12pl...?sort=3&page=1

Tell me what you think of this scape, and if the front glass has too much substrate showing. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the light cord.

Last edited by dasit88; 05-01-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
IMO...not too much but getting close to it.
Was expecting some other color on the sand...LOL...
Perhaps it's a more uniformed and possibly darker black ? Finer grained ?
Just a tad curious as to why you used the sand on top of it, that's all.
Probably won't notice the sub after the carpet is full. You might run a spatula or similar
item across the front to make it even, unless you broke up the "even" on purpose.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Zero soil at the glass.

I did not like the sod look at the ADA dealer. Roots everywhere.

I got some paper thin styrene sheets at the hobby shop and made 6" tall x 18" strips. Depends what you buy. Evergreen brand #9111.

I slipped one between the soil and glass and slipped another behind that until the whole length was exposed.

Then pour your favorite sand between the glass and styrene. Voila!

Cheers!

-PhilipS ><>

Mr50's, Killer Plants, Whiskey Pond

Last edited by PhilipS; 05-01-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
IMO...not too much but getting close to it.
Was expecting some other color on the sand...LOL...
Perhaps it's a more uniformed and possibly darker black ? Finer grained ?
Just a tad curious as to why you used the sand on top of it, that's all.
Probably won't notice the sub after the carpet is full. You might run a spatula or similar
item across the front to make it even, unless you broke up the "even" on purpose.
I chose some ordinary fine grained sand as a cap because I want to plant HC. I felt that eco complete was too coarse for it to root in during DSM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
Zero soil at the glass.

I did not like the sod look at the ADA dealer. Roots everywhere.

I got some paper thin styrene sheets at the hobby shop and made 6" tall x 18" strips. Depends what you buy.

I slipped one between the soil and glass and slipped another behind that until the whole length was exposed.

Then pour your favorite sand between the glass and styrene. Voila!
I totally agree. This is what I did when I did sand and soil because I was using a different color sand and it would have looked pretty bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What you can do is make sure you have a little sand left over or gatther some from the tank, use a ruler or yeard stick or something else that's flat, push like 1/2" of sand away from the 3 front panes, and fill the space with the sand.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to TaylorDaughtry
I generally don't have any soil against the front pane of my glass. But if you like that look (which is totally fine; everyone likes a little something different!) I'll also second the styrene sheet technique; it keeps a clean front if you're one of those people that's okay with soil on the front pane.

You'll need a sheet that's at least .040" thick to stop root growth. Otherwise they'll eventually find their way through it!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Planted Member

When I set up my dirted 20g long , I used an inch and a half of wet dirt and kept it an inch away from the glass on all sides . Then capped it with black diamond sand . Its maybe 2" on the front pane and slopes to the back at about to around 3 - 3 and a 1/4"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback guys. I looked at planted tanks and iwagumis on google images, as well as pictures of members tanks here. Many of them let about 1-3" of substrate touch the glass and the tanks still look great.

I do like the "no substrate touching the glass" look as well, as it maximizes your viewing window. I will do that on my next tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Planted Member

I've got 3-4 inches. Didn't really know what I was doing when I set up my tank.

But, I kinda like it. You get to see roots, which is cool, and you get to see cyanobacteria, which inhabit the plane where there is light but there is no oxygen. I know other people don't like this, but I think it's neat. Those are the same organisms responsible for originally providing oxygen to the atmosphere, and are directly responsible for all other life on earth. I'm honoured to have 'em in my tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode