Mixing Sand with gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing Sand with gravel

Hy,
im going to set up my 20gal high light tank soon, and wondering if my subrate will be ok. Basically im gonna use JBL aquabasis mixed with some other concentrated iron containing powder (probably clay and something else). On the top i ll use 1mm quartz sand mixed with 2-3 mm dark gravel, basically cuz i think it looks more natural (i know at the end the garvel will cover the sand, but still), and if im not wrong sand doesnt compact that much if gravel is mixed with it. (Or am i wrong?) Will this substrate be ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Like you mentioned the gravel would wind up covering the sand, and at that point the sand would probably start compacting. I use simple sand and then gravel in a 30-70 split in my tank, so i can't comment more on the mix or the JBL.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick response. Anyone else has experience with a similar mix?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have sand on top of a layer of flourite. The flourite is slowly becoming the surface layer. I have malaysian trumpet snails, so I don't worry about the sand compacting.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
smaller substrate on the bottom, and larger substrate on the top.. Don't bother mixing because it'll wind up like that over time... Here's an opportunity to design your substrate.. Sprinkle gravel and larger river stones on the substrate.

It does look very natural, like a river substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for help guys.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 AM

recently i redid my tank and added pool sand to the gravel i had now i can see my plants grow but only after a month only gravel is visible
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 AM

mixing pretty final!

from what I have found, about 6 months after mixing substrates I end up wishing I spent a little more money for matching substrate in the beginning because I end up shelling out for it eventually and once you mix them it is very hard if not impossible to separate them again.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Coarse grain sand by reading posts (a lot of them) makes a great base that doesn't pack. Capping with gravel, Flourite, quartz or what ever is a choice to modify appearance. Planning on sand in a new tank using mineralized substrate and will probably cap with 2 -3 bags of Flourite because we like the look of the original with the brick and clay tones. I'm very happy it won't mix, saves me a bunch of money building substrate depth. Posts state also that roots establish better in sand than coarse subs but that I do not know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 AM

my plants seem to do better with the mix than with gravel alone. an easy way to seperate it if you need to later is to take scoops out with a strainer and shake them. sand falls out, gravel doesn't
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
as everybody has already pointed out, the coarser, lighter gravel will eventually wind up on top. if the coarse-grained material is more sparse than the fine sand this can present a very natural appearance--the same way that particles sort themselves on a riverbed.

it can be beneficial to have an underlayer of finer sand in systems that have high fish stocking loads. with an even layer of coarse-grained substrate a lot of uneaten fish food and other material can become trapped between the particles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode