Planted Tank Guru
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
so I want to redo my 75g with new substrate, advice please.
Its been set up for just over a year. I have safe t sorb in there now. Its been nothing but headaches and has made things difficult for me. I am finally ready to do a full tear down and put some new substrate in there. I just don't know what route I want to go. This is where you folks come in.
My plant choices will not change from what I have now, which is:
- hygro willow
- lilly/lotus i am not sure which one I have
Things I dislike about safe t sorb and reasons for me changing substrate.
- its too lightweight, doesn't hold plants down well
- it clouds water easily when disturbed (i got lots of bottom dwellers)
- it seriously messes up water parameters (soften water and removes gh / calcium)
- i don't feel its cec value outweighs all the negatives
- don't like the color any more
I want to ensure that whatever substrate I use is going to not alter my water and be safe to drop my fish in shortly after setup. I have a full stock which I will be housing in a giant cooler while I do the rescape / substrate swap.
I head eco complete can raised ph and gh kh. I am worried about dirt because of ammo spike. what do I use?
This is my first tank and never did something like this before. Extremely nervous about my fish and plants, as i don't want to lose them through this process but I need to get rid of this substrate.
75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair