Opinions on SeaChem Flourite wanted... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Opinions on SeaChem Flourite wanted...

I'm looking for some opinions on the different Seachem flourite (red, black, dark, and sand) from anyone who has had experience with them.
I have a 55g working its way through the cycle and I am planning ahead with plants and a good substrate for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I got the red once by accident and the particles were much more coarse than the regular, hard to plant in. I don't know if this is typical of the red or just happened to get a bag with large pieces. Also I didn't like the color. As far as growing things, I like my fluorite regular just fine. The black I think looks better, but I couldn't find it locally.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like the flourite black. Tried the flourite black sand but it didn't hold newly planted plants very well. I got good growth with both.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I've used the original, red and black and i like them, but there are better substrates out there. Flourish is very high in iron and aluminum with some potassium and magnesium, but not much else. I've found that root tabs are more or less necessary in high tech tanks with Fluorite.

Here the link to Seachem site, you can see the nutrient breakdowns of the different gravels
http://www.seachem.com/Products/Gravel.html

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Fluorite regular seems to be a choice of locals in my city and as near as I can see(from first hand observation of their tanks) there are no issues with their planted tanks, mostly high tech with pressurized c02 and 3 watts per gallon are doing really well.

I experimented with flourite regular and Schultz Aquatic soil While the rooted plants anchored better in fluorite a little better than the Schultz Aquatic Soil, which can be overcome by layering some pool filter sand underneath the Schultz Aquatic Soil. There was virtually no difference in plant growth between the two. I fertilized the water column in both cases.

The nutrients in fluorite are not bioavailable to plants, so you will have no choice but to dose the water column and or use root tabs if you go with Fluorite regardless of the flavor. The only substrate which has nutrients bioavailable to plant roots for immediate uptake is ADA Aquasoil, but it costs an arm and a leg. In my experience, plant growth with ADA Aquasoil is superior to Fluorite or Schultz with or without water column dosing, c02 injected and non-c02 injected, low light or high light alike.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
I have the red. Works great. My plants root wonderfully.

I put a layer of SMS black over it because I like the color better now but the flourite is right under it and is still my main substrate.

---------
My tank:

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Very much appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode