Substrate question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Substrate question

So my light is on the way
Now I need to figure out which substrate I should get.

I'm torn between Amazonia 2 or Seachem flourite. I can get seachem flurite at the store besides my house so I don't have to order it online which will save me time and money. Or amazonia 2 substrate which is way more expensive and I will not be able to get everything I need for my tank right away since it will put me over budget for that week, but it is better for my water, I think, since my tap water PH is 8 or 8.2 so it will help bring it down. So which one should I get? Or is there another good one that I can use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Can anyone help me? PLease

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Check out some of Jeff Senske's comments about Amazonia II.

Some people are using torpedobarb's mineralized substrate. He has some for sale in the S&S. He has a sticky about it.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Check out some of Jeff Senske's comments about Amazonia II.

Some people are using torpedobarb's mineralized substrate. He has some for sale in the S&S. He has a sticky about it.
Thanks for the reply
After reading some coments about Amazonia 2 makes me lean towards Seachem Flourite. The only reason why I was considering Amazonia is that it's lowers ph, my tap water ph is pretty high. But now torpedobarb's substrate sounds good too. Now the question is Seachem flourite or topedobarb's substrate? I'm so confused, I hate making decisions , I just want to pick best substrate that has everything my plants will need..... I need someone just to tell me what I should get LOL

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 01:27 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have never had issues with ADA Amazonia II but maybe I just got lucky. There are lots of locals in my city that use regular Fluorite without issues.

Substrate is only one part of having a successful tank. What are your goals? If you want to grow a variety of plants and don't mind trimming and putting in more effort, more important will be having pressurized c02 and decent lighting.

If you just want to grow plants, don't mind being limited to low light plants, don't want to do a lot of water changes or spend a lot of time on the tank, then you may be able to get away with pool filter sand, fluorite(will also work), etc.,
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Hi funkyfish

Did you read AAronT's sticky that torpedobarb gave a link to in his sticky too? If not, you need to read that one too. Here it is: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

Your comments make me think that you may of missed it.

Please note that the mineralized substrate is topped by sand, gravel or a planted aquarium substrate. For a planted aquarium substrate to use for topping, some people like Seachem's Flourite Black Sand. But, there are many choices that will work fine like regular Flourite, pool filter sand, 3M T grade color quartz, inert gravel, etc.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm thinking of using Wasserpests method using Special Kitty.https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...rner-tank.html
I like the idea of trying something that isn't real expensive. If it works for him, it should work for us too.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
I have never had issues with ADA Amazonia II but maybe I just got lucky. There are lots of locals in my city that use regular Fluorite without issues.

Substrate is only one part of having a successful tank. What are your goals? If you want to grow a variety of plants and don't mind trimming and putting in more effort, more important will be having pressurized c02 and decent lighting.

If you just want to grow plants, don't mind being limited to low light plants, don't want to do a lot of water changes or spend a lot of time on the tank, then you may be able to get away with pool filter sand, fluorite(will also work), etc.,
My goal is to have a nice green, healthy tank that I can enjoy for a long time. I want to have a variety of plants, and I want my fish to feel at home as well. I listed what I want in my tank below. I don't mind triming or putting a little more effort in to it I will have a CO2 which will be DIY at first, my light is Coralife 20" Aqualight power compact strip light 1x28w, which by my calculations gives me 2.8w/g it will be raised. I'm thinking I'm on the right track for the begginer, I just want to figure out which substrate will be a good start for the begginer.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I had a really bad batch of ADA ASII so I'm about to restart my tank with good old Onyx Sand (aka Seachem's Coastal Grey).

IMO it would be a really good idea to start off your first planted tank with one of the "commercial" products such as one of Seachem's plant substrates or Eco Complete- just to first get your "thumb going aqua-green" as it were.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hi funkyfish

Did you read AAronT's sticky that torpedobarb gave a link to in his sticky too? If not, you need to read that one too. Here it is: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

Your comments make me think that you may of missed it.

Please note that the mineralized substrate is topped by sand, gravel or a planted aquarium substrate. For a planted aquarium substrate to use for topping, some people like Seachem's Flourite Black Sand. But, there are many choices that will work fine like regular Flourite, pool filter sand, 3M T grade color quartz, inert gravel, etc.
Thanks for bringining it to my attention, I did miss that part ooops A long day in front of a computer melts my brain cells lol
That was a very intresting read for sure, but I don't think I'm ready to do it by myself yet, a little intimidating. Good to know that there is someone who does it for you

Now I got couple of questions. I never run out of questions, sorry......
If I'll get torpedobarb's substrate I need a top layer right? so should I use flourite/flourite sand as a top layer with it? Or regular gravel is fine? And by my understanding if topedosbarbs soil is used my plants won't require much ferts? (I probably should ask him hese questions?!)

If I'll decide to go with seachem flourite, do I need to add something to it or is it ready to go? Do I need a top layer with it, should I mix it with something?

Sorry about my stupid questions But I just want to know everything there is to know before I set up my tank, and there is so many ways to do it that its starting to make my head spin LOL I just want to pick a way that will work best for my tank, I want my plants to be happy for a long time. And substrate doesn't come cheap so once I put it in my tank I want it to stay there for a long time, at least 2 years

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I had a really bad batch of ADA ASII so I'm about to restart my tank with good old Onyx Sand (aka Seachem's Coastal Grey).

IMO it would be a really good idea to start off your first planted tank with one of the "commercial" products such as one of Seachem's plant substrates or Eco Complete- just to first get your "thumb going aqua-green" as it were.
I actually been thinking the same thing, and my husbands is telling me the same thing. I am so new into this I probably should go with one of the comercial products and maybe down the road once I am more expirienced I will try something else. Thanks

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
Thanks for bringining it to my attention, I did miss that part ooops A long day in front of a computer melts my brain cells lol
That was a very intresting read for sure, but I don't think I'm ready to do it by myself yet, a little intimidating. Good to know that there is someone who does it for you
I know what you mean.

Quote:
Now I got couple of questions. I never run out of questions, sorry......
If I'll get torpedobarb's substrate I need a top layer right? so should I use flourite/flourite sand as a top layer with it? Or regular gravel is fine? And by my understanding if topedosbarbs soil is used my plants won't require much ferts? (I probably should ask him hese questions?!)
You do need a top layer plus a rim of it around the tank near the glass on the sides that show. You might not want your MS to show.

The topping is can be what you like.

Quote:
If I'll decide to go with seachem flourite, do I need to add something to it or is it ready to go? Do I need a top layer with it, should I mix it with something?
Which Flourite are you wanting to use? regular, red, black, black sand

It is a stand alone product, but you can add mum, peat, root tabs, etc. Whatever you want to add.

Quote:
Sorry about my stupid questions But I just want to know everything there is to know before I set up my tank, and there is so many ways to do it that its starting to make my head spin LOL I just want to pick a way that will work best for my tank, I want my plants to be happy for a long time. And substrate doesn't come cheap so once I put it in my tank I want it to stay there for a long time, at least 2 years
This is a good idea.

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I know what you mean.

You do need a top layer plus a rim of it around the tank near the glass on the sides that show. You might not want your MS to show.

The topping is can be what you like.

Which Flourite are you wanting to use? regular, red, black, black sand

It is a stand alone product, but you can add mum, peat, root tabs, etc. Whatever you want to add.

This is a good idea.
First I want to say Thanks so much for all your help and answers to my stupid questions! I really apreciate it.

If I will decide to go with Flourite, I want to go with Black one and I also wanted to use some sand with it, but just a little bit so I can make a little trail in the middle. I think I can add that a little later.
I actually thinking to go with comercial substrate since it will be my first ever attempt in planted tank, and I think MS is a little more advanced for me to try yet. I definitely want to try it, and I definitely will after some experience with planting and growng plants. Could I add some laterite as the first layer to my flourite, does that sounds like a good idea?

P.S. The only reason why I was concidering getting amazonia 2 was my high PH tap water, should I be concerned about it? Maybe I can add something to substrate to help neutralize my PH?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
First I want to say Thanks so much for all your help and answers to my stupid questions! I really appreciate it.
I think that you are wise to ask questions.

Quote:
If I will decide to go with Flourite, I want to go with Black one and I also wanted to use some sand with it, but just a little bit so I can make a little trail in the middle. I think I can add that a little later.
Sure, you can make a trail later.

You shouldn't worry about 'scaping your tank at first. Stuff it full of plants at first to help to keep algae away and let you tank get settled. You can 'scape later.

Quote:
I actually thinking to go with commercial substrate since it will be my first ever attempt in planted tank, and I think MS is a little more advanced for me to try yet. I definitely want to try it, and I definitely will after some experience with planting and growing plants. Could I add some laterite as the first layer to my flourite, does that sounds like a good idea?
You can really go wrong with the Seachem substrates.

I don't want to bias your thoughts by my next comments. MS sounds like an easy way to go to me. Covering it with one of the several black sands should be easy to work with. I haven't read about any severe algae problems using MS like you read about people using regular topsoil.

You'll get yes and no to your Laterite question. But, it doesn't hurt. If you do use it, keep it away from all sides that show. Those reddish Laterite grains will show with the black substrate.

Quote:
P.S. The only reason why I was considering getting amazonia 2 was my high PH tap water, should I be concerned about it? Maybe I can add something to substrate to help neutralize my PH?
I don't know if the problem with Amazonia II has been fixed. I haven't read anything saying that is has. Also, not all bags were/are bad. I don't know the magnitude of the problem either. You may want to contact the following two places and find out from them.
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/
http://www.adana-usa.com/

Don't add any chemicals to lower your KH and pH.

I'd try your water at first like it is and then use a mix of tap and RO water only if you have to.

Do you know your KH and GH, by chance?

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I think that you are wise to ask questions.
Thank you

Quote:
Sure, you can make a trail later.

You shouldn't worry about 'scaping your tank at first. Stuff it full of plants at first to help to keep algae away and let you tank get settled. You can 'scape later.
Cool I won't worry about my sand trail untill later ...

Quote:
You can really go wrong with the Seachem substrates.

I don't want to bias your thoughts by my next comments. MS sounds like an easy way to go to me. Covering it with one of the several black sands should be easy to work with. I haven't read about any severe algae problems using MS like you read about people using regular topsoil.
Do you think is a good idea for a beginner like myself to try this method?

Quote:
You'll get yes and no to your Laterite question. But, it doesn't hurt. If you do use it, keep it away from all sides that show. Those reddish Laterite grains will show with the black substrate.
Thanks I will keep that in mind, I certanly don't want those grains to show.

Quote:
I don't know if the problem with Amazonia II has been fixed. I haven't read anything saying that is has. Also, not all bags were/are bad. I don't know the magnitude of the problem either. You may want to contact the following two places and find out from them.
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/
http://www.adana-usa.com/
I will definitley contact these eplaces that you mentioned about the little problem with Amazonia II. I know that not all bags were bad but Im kinda on the budget, so I don't want to spend all that money and get a bad one, knowing my luck I will . Is there any stores that carry it because I think it would be easier to tell if it's a good bag or not, but what do I look for to tell if it's a good one?
I will do more reaserch before I order anything. I'm planing to oreder some substrate within next couple of weeks, so I got some time to do more research...

Quote:
Don't add any chemicals to lower your KH and pH.

I'd try your water at first like it is and then use a mix of tap and RO water only if you have to.

Do you know your KH and GH, by chance?
I wasn't really planing to add any chemicals since I know they can do more harm than good especially when you don't know what you doing. I was tinking more of something natural like adding some RO water. Do I need to have an RO unit to get RO water or is there another way to get it?
When I had my cold water tank my ph was actually at a stable 7, so maybe I'm just worried too much. But then again I want to be prepared for anything.
And I do not know my KH/GH, but I will be getting a test kit for it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode