Caribsea moonlight sand foreground? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Caribsea moonlight sand foreground?

I am in the process of setting up a 20 gallon long tank. I recently saw an article in a magazine where Amano used sand for a low maintenance foreground. A local petstore had Caribsea moonlight sand so, even though expensive, I bought a bag. In the process of rinsing it I discovered this stuff is very, very fine grained: it almost dissolves in the water, but quickly settles to the bottom. Does anyone have experience with this substrate? In your opinion, is it going to be a problem?

I will have fluorite in the back area, and the two substrates will be separated by rocks. I was hoping to have the sand so I wouldn't have to maintain a carpeted foreground, and at the same time provide a sandy spot for cories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
You might want to put a sponge over your filter intake to prevent fine sand grains from getting sucked in and carving channels through your impeller.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I have a Rena Smartheater that I was going to attach to the filter intake. Will the sand ruin it? Alternatively, I have a small bag of very fine natural colored silica gravel I could use to top the sand with, but if I use it I suppose I will have to forgo the cories.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a 10g shrimp tank with that sand and I've had no issues with it. A few root tabs here and there for heavy root feeders, but other that that it's done ok.

One thing you may want to do is turn your filter off when pouring in water that may stir the sand up. Topping off the tank usually isn't an issue, it's more an issue when the tanks half drained during a water change etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melauriga View Post
I have a Rena Smartheater that I was going to attach to the filter intake. Will the sand ruin it? Alternatively, I have a small bag of very fine natural colored silica gravel I could use to top the sand with, but if I use it I suppose I will have to forgo the cories.
Why would you have to fore go the corys? I have flourite and a school of 5 corys and they are doing great-barbels are all intact and they do dig down HARD in the gravel too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I meant I'd leave the cories out if I topped the sand with this silica gravel I have. It looks pretty sharp. Yes, I've read that a lot of people have no trouble with cories and fluorite. And anyway, the part of the tank that has fluorite will be pretty heavily planted.

Actually I am trying the sand foreground by itself. I thought it would be cool to see the cories playing in it. Since it is only a narrow strip in the front I am hoping it won't be too much of a problem with the filter and heater. And Jinx had the good tip of turning the filter off during water changes (thanks!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode