I think I have decided but need some confirmation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think I have decided but need some confirmation

Ok, I have a 75g with cichlids that have been kept with plants in a 35g and have done well.

I want to grow HC, hair grass and some nice stem plants as well as rooted plants. I am going to have egg crate and grow the HC emmersed and let everything root well before adding the cichlids to the new tank.

I decided on eco complete

I decided against ADA because it lowers the PH, not good for cichlids.

I decided against mineralized soil because they like to kick up the gravel to the glass and I think that would be a mess and I just dont understand it too much and dont think I should put something in the tank that might require some understanding.

So I choose eco over flourite because it is cheeper, at the moment, and I think it is about the same.

SO... am I right in my thinking?

Does eco need to be rinsed and also if the fish kick up the eco would that make just as much of a mess as the soil?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
what kind of cichlids do you have?
Some will tear your plants to pieces

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i have mbuna and they have done fine with the plants for a year now. The only problem is them uprooting them and that is why I am adding the eggcrate and letting all the plants root well before adding them.

So what do you think of the substrate? good choice?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't have cichlids, but I do use EC.

I did not rinse it - it comes packed in liquid and I believe is states not to rinse.

I have no cloudiness issues and never did after about an hour of putting it in my tank. The finer pieces work their way down to the bottom leaving the larger pieces on top.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well I was about the order the Eco but then saw this aquariumplants.com substrate and that got me looking into SMS, which is what everyone on here was using when I first started on here years ago.

Some people say SMS lowers PH some say it does not. (more confusion)

Im also wondering if SMS would make a mess like the mineralized soil does when there is kicking up of the soil.

So now Im back to square one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do not rinse your ECO!!! you want the liquid it is packed in.

I had an initial algae bloom with my Eco...but all is well now...I put down 3-4 inches in my 120...($250.00 in eco...no, i did not tell my wife)

Brad Sherwood North Dakota
55 planted-tetras and RC shrimp
125 C02 planted tank,Angels,various tetra's, clownloaches.
72 bow front- koi tank in the winter...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

if i dont rince the Eco wont that make a mess when the cichlids kick it up?

I want something that will *not lower PH* (my PH is 7.5, not high for cichlids but it works) and that is not going to make a mess when the cichlids kick up the substrate. (They like to kick up the current gravel down to the glass in the back under the rocks)

So would that be... Eco? SMS? Aquariumplant.com soil, mineralized soil?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Algae Grower

Don't bother rinsing the Eco. It specifically states it doesn't need it.

I use it in a tank with burrowing loaches - little award-winning champions at kicking up dirt. It doesn't cause problems or make a mess, but I don't have my filter intake low, either. *s*
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM

How about mixing a soil specific to cichlids with something like Eco-Complete? African cichlids need hard water, and the soil made specifically for them will achieve this naturally. If you do a little research, you can easily find out what kinds of plants thrive in the hard water your cichlids need. You have already been to Aquariumplants.com, and I believe there is a package of plants especially for hard water. This would be a good place to start to get some ideas of what plants you could grow succesfully. You can use root tabs to make up for the fact it will not be a fully mineralised soil.
If Loaches are good with Eco, the cichlids will be too. I am also a Loach Keeper and they do kick up a lot of soil!

leafshapedheart
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafshapedheart View Post
African cichlids need hard water, and the soil made specifically for them will achieve this naturally.

leafshapedheart
East African, Rift Valley cichlids need hard water.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really dont want to do the soil that makes the water harder. the cichlids do well in the current set up and I want something that will keep everything the same.

I spoke with Rex and I am going to go with the eco complete. I would like to save money but im not going to mess with it and just get what is good and doesnt mess with the water and what I dont have to make myself because I have no idea what I am doing.

thanks everyone
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
Ok, I have a 75g with cichlids that have been kept with plants in a 35g and have done well.

I want to grow HC, hair grass and some nice stem plants as well as rooted plants. I am going to have egg crate and grow the HC emmersed and let everything root well before adding the cichlids to the new tank.
I am interested to see how this turns out. I have never been able to keep cichlids with anything other than anubias, Java fern and other hardy plants.
I have a funny feeling your Africans are going to tear your HC, hair grass and stems to shreds. I hope I'm wrong...

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope so too. They have done well with aunbis, java fern swords. They dont eat the moss or the red wenditti. I also have a really soft plant in there that they dont eat so I am thinking that they might not eat the HC.

The thing they do is uproot things and then play with them so much that it just falls apart. So I am doing the eggcrate and dry start and then adding the water and still I am going to wait till everything is really secure to add the fish..

I am doing things very slowly but I have a tank jorunal over on TFH magazine if you want to follow the progress.
http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewto...p?f=82&t=25394

I just got some HC in the mail today and honestly looking at it in person it does look like something that they are going to tear up. maybe glosso would be better since it is a bit bigger.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM

nice, I'll check it out!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode