My Flourite black Sand cloudiness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Flourite black Sand cloudiness

I know that this subject has been discussed in multiple posts but bare with me. Over the last few hours i took down my ten gallon tank and replaced the substrate with Flourite Black Sand from Seachem. It is VERY cloudy and i was wondering if this much cloudiness was normal and how i get rid of it, and if i can get rid of it at all. Here are some pictures I took during the process.

OK so I can't upload pictures for some reason. Every time i try to upload one from photobucket this is what it says
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...quarium030.jpg:
Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Did you rinse it before placing it in the tank? When i buy Flourite Black Sand, I rinse it untill the water is kinda clear(this might take a while). Then I add water in the tank full of Black Sand slowly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
oh yea.. flourite is notorious for requiring a thorough rinsing. Any sand substrate needs lots of rinsing before adding to the tank. Take a bucket, dump a bag in and fill with water.. mix it up a bit with your hand to get all the dust and debris loose. Dump water. If you have a garden hose, leave the water running and let it overflow til the water is clear. if not, you'll have to keep filling, rinsing, dumping until water runs clear.

As ddtran says, you need to fill your tank very slowly. I've used a paper plate with a low flow. Any remaining dust will be taken care of by your filter and/or will settle over time.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
New substrate

All the flourite products (most others too) need to be well rinsed prior use. For the finer products paint stores (what ever company) sell 5gal. bucket nylon strainer bags pretty cheap $2.00 or less for singles. Contractor use they don't last long, pretty much disposable. Their big enough to line an empty bucket some even have elastic around the top to help hold them. They work well filled about 1/2 way hose fill the bucket with water several times working the bag around and you'll lose most of the dust and a few fines.
If you don't drag the bag on rough concrete or snag it on something sharp they'll last you a life time.

Anyhow most times clouding clears in 24-48 hrs.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The thing is i've gotten such conflicting advice on this topic that i finally just took a chance and did it. I didn't rinse it at all because numerous people told me not to. People told me not to here in the chat room, and at my aquarists club. Guess I took the wrong advice.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleVal View Post
The thing is i've gotten such conflicting advice on this topic that i finally just took a chance and did it. I didn't rinse it at all because numerous people told me not to. People told me not to here in the chat room, and at my aquarists club. Guess I took the wrong advice.
Alot of people rinse Flourite products when they first get it. The only substrates i know that you cannot rinse are the ADA ones.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

rinse it is much better, i learned it from the bad exp i had, i was using red Flourite i forgot the rense it. but it only took my 25 gallon to clear up in 24 hour.

I love angelfish!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i guess it won't be very hard to take the gravel out....or i could just rinse it in the tank. I am thinking of trying sticking a hose in the tank an letting the water run clear but won't the sand some out of the tank if i do that?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Planted Member

You can also cut a top corner of the bag off and stick a hose inside and let it run until the runoff is mostly clear.

I got sick of rinsing when I setup a 125 gal with it. Rinsed or not it's going to cloud up like crazy. It will soon pass however.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

not to be a thread stealer, but how much of this fluorite sand would i need to cover a 55 gal tank? was planning on making a black switch but looks like id need 3 15 lb bags right? seems a bit much, money wise.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Algae Grower

Instead of a bucket I used one of those long plastic bins you slide under your bed for storage - VERY cheap a WalMart, Target... It was a lot easier than using the bucket as the depth of the soil was a lot less than in a bucket - but you have to be careful not to blast the stuff out of the bin.

Dan K.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (42/100%)
I usually wing it and throw it in the tank without rinsing. Rinsing, rinsing again, rinsing yet again. I usually just plop it in and wait a few days for the cloudiness to clear....run the filter for awhile.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
not to be a thread stealer, but how much of this fluorite sand would i need to cover a 55 gal tank? was planning on making a black switch but looks like id need 3 15 lb bags right? seems a bit much, money wise.
Seachem has a substrate calculator on their site for all their gravels. Here is the one for Flourite Black Sand.

For an area of 13" x 48" x 3," it shows 6 bags.

The sand calculator on this site gives 108 lbs for the same area using silica sand.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I used the black sand twice in a 10 gallon tank, and both times I only rinsed the top layer, not the lower ones. The last time I used a big collander type insert for a pasta cooker, that is about 2 gallon size, I would guess. Then I bought a yard of a polyester, very fine mesh netting at a fabric store, about $3 worth as I recall, and put a double thickness of that in the collander. That let me run water through the sand in pretty big batches, with no problems at all. And, only slight cloudiness in the tank, later.

Hoppy
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

i had this problem and someone here posted a link that was helpful. they recommended rinsing flourite just a couple of times, then spreading it out and letting it DRY. then get it in the tank and fill slowly. the thought is that overrinsing may wash away some nutrients. even though the dry flourite was very dusty going into my tank, the water was CRYSTAL clear when i filled it slowly. i dont know how dusty substrate leads to clear water, but it does. definitely more work to dry it though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in