Dust From Eco-Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Unhappy Dust From Eco-Complete

I received a 75g for Christmas. My wife gave me Black Eco-Complete for the substrate. My problem is the fine dust that in a weeks time coats everything. My filter (C-360) needs to be cleaned weekly. Yesterday I noticed that I have a bit of algae on my spray bar so I took it out to clean it, when I took in apart there was this dust in the pipe. My question is Is this normal of Eco? I would rather not change the substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I didn't have any issues like that at all with Eco Complete.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Mine was the same. Did you use the little white bags (bioclear or something) that came inside the EcoComplete bags? That stuff helps your filter catch all the excess dust in the water to make it crystal clear. Also as time passes, the fine particles in the substrate will filter down as the larger particles move up. I think you'll be fine.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I added a zillion bags of eco and then let my 120 cycle for about 2 weeks....not a problem

Brad Sherwood North Dakota
55 planted-tetras and RC shrimp
125 C02 planted tank,Angels,various tetra's, clownloaches.
72 bow front- koi tank in the winter...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Same problem here in my 30g. Even after I removed the very fine grain there is still a lot of dust. The fine grain removed ended up on a 5 g tank. I'm not happy with those bags of Eco...but I used it almost 2 years ago when setting up my 90 g and there were no problems. Maybe the company decided to go cheap somewhere along the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
I bought some eco-complete about a year agi and did not have this problem but then i bought some more last week to mix in with what i had and i had the same problem with the dust. Everytime i move something when it settles back down there is dust all over my plants and everything else. I they changed something in the subsrtate, since the last time i bought it.

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Mine was the same. Did you use the little white bags (bioclear or something) that came inside the EcoComplete bags? That stuff helps your filter catch all the excess dust in the water to make it crystal clear. Also as time passes, the fine particles in the substrate will filter down as the larger particles move up. I think you'll be fine.
Yep, used all 5 of them. You're right about clearing the water. My problem is that this is a continuing thing. I have Flourite in a 30g tank and Aquariumplants substrate in a 55g with no problems. I didn't know if this was a common thing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't think mine even came with any little white bags of stuff? I set my tank up with it about 1.5 years ago tho. It does sound like it's changed since then.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just redid my tank with 6 boxes of ECO they all had a white bags bioclear that binds the dust together, it still kicks up a little during my gravel cleaning not much. I still like it the dust will settle down to the bottom of your tank in a bit.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that what the little white bag is for, I thought that it was just a dechlorinater to not kill the live bacteria in the bag. I used Prime instead and I still have 10 or 11 of those little bags kicking around. I didn't have much of a dust problem though, the tank cleared up within 48hrs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
I don't think mine even came with any little white bags of stuff? I set my tank up with it about 1.5 years ago tho. It does sound like it's changed since then.
ya mine didn't come with the little white bags back then either

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Just posted the following on another thread.

All the flourite products (most others too) need to be well rinsed prior use. For the finer products paint stores (what ever company) sell 5gal. bucket nylon strainer bags pretty cheap $2.00 or less for singles. Contractor use they don't last long, pretty much disposable. Their big enough to line an empty bucket some even have elastic around the top to help hold them. They work well filled about 1/2 way hose fill the bucket with water several times working the bag around and you'll lose most of the dust and a few fines.
If you don't drag the bag on rough concrete or snag it on something sharp they'll last you a life time.

I know Eco-complete states "no rinse needed or recommended" Loaded nothing but Eco-complete black when I set up a new 75g last year in May. Ended up with dust/clouding issues for MONTHS afterwards. Set up a 75g set up with rinsed flourite and the water was cleared overnight. We have untreated well water available and personally I'll never use unrinsed substrate again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode