Fluorite cloudiness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluorite cloudiness

I recently set up my 75 gallon tank with the dark brown fluorite. I thoroughly rinsed and rinsed. I still have a cloudy tank...have changed the filter in the Eheim several times already. My 45 gallon tank has the black fluorite which was also rinsed but has settled nicely with no cloudiness at all. Does anyone have any information on the dark fluorite being more cloudy than the black? The people at the LFS told me that the dark is more difficult to clean. If that is the case, is there a way to remove the dark fluorite and replace it with the black with fish in the tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
75 gallon planted tank
45 gallon planted tank
~~~~~Joyce~~~~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisman54 View Post
I recently set up my 75 gallon tank with the dark brown fluorite. I thoroughly rinsed and rinsed. I still have a cloudy tank...have changed the filter in the Eheim several times already. My 45 gallon tank has the black fluorite which was also rinsed but has settled nicely with no cloudiness at all. Does anyone have any information on the dark fluorite being more cloudy than the black? The people at the LFS told me that the dark is more difficult to clean. If that is the case, is there a way to remove the dark fluorite and replace it with the black with fish in the tank.

How long ago did you put it in the tank? In my experience, it usually takes a week or so for it to settle down. Keep on rinsing your filter everyday, put some fiber that removes fine particles. I'd say, wait for a little bit more, let it settle down and you'll have good results with it.

I think changing the substrate with the fish still in the tank will put too much unreasonable stress on them. While changing the substrate you are going to keep only the original water there, stirring up everything else. What is the reason to keep the fish in it? If you do decide to change the substrate, then your fish can even live in a few buckets for a couple of days to survive thru that change.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank has been set up for almost 3 weeks. I really don't want to replace the substrate unless I absolutely have to. I have added a binder to make the particles larger for the filter as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
75 gallon planted tank
45 gallon planted tank
~~~~~Joyce~~~~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode