whats the best to use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
whats the best to use?

maybe the mods can turn this into a poll? I'm not sure, I want to know everyone's opinion on the absolute best substrate I will be seting up another tank soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I vote ADA Aqua Soil.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anyone else????

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I have a tank with Schultz Aquatic soil...its ok
and I just started an MS tank...only time will tell...but I am pumped

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I don't think a poll will work. You could get favorites, but there isn't an answer for single BEST as the perfect substrate depends on the application, user, plant or fish requirement, etc.

For the record, the best plant root growth I've ever had was in beige swimming pool filter sand. Next is everything else I've tried.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't think a poll will work. You could get favorites, but there isn't an answer for single BEST as the perfect substrate depends on the application, user, plant or fish requirement, etc.

For the record, the best plant root growth I've ever had was in beige swimming pool filter sand. Next is everything else I've tried.
+1.

Don't forget cost.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have only tested fluroite, Schultz Aquatic Soil, Seachem Onyx Sand, Ada Aquasoil II, and Pool Filter Sand. Next on the hit list is mineralized topsoil

I would say that ADA Aquasoil II totally kicked a*s, Now Schultz Aquatic Soil, IME, grew plants as well as Fluorite for a fraction of the cost, but it totally sucked at keeping plants rooted. This is why I have a bunch of free floating plants all over the place in my 40 gallon Schultz Aquatic Soil tank. If I could have done things diiffrently on that tank, I would have used a layer of Pool Filter to provide a good rooting and anchoring base and capped with the Schultz Aquatic Soil. I found that plants rooted really well in pool fitler sand.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks guys, i see some common threads, i think I will do a mixture in my next set up. is there any pros or cons to adding a layer of peat to the substrate?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
ADA AS is the King with out a doubt. Also, if you use AS you dont need peat.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
ADA AS is the King with out a doubt. Also, if you use AS you dont need peat.
I vote AS as well. Use amazonia 1 over 2. It has more nutrients and all that good stuff. Doesn't have orange chunks in it either. I have both 1 and 2 and I prefer 1. Although to be honest, the orange chunks aren't that visible when far away... but eh, the nutrient factor plays in nicely.
They claim that amazonia 2 lowers PH more but after using both and testing both, it's pretty much the same. As long as it's in the 6.5-6.8 range (without co2 injection), it's good. And they both hit that range. My tap is 7.6 converted into the 6.5-6.8 by AS.

The downside is that it's more expensive than ecco or flourite. But it shouldn't matter. You pay a few extra dollars per bag for a long-term item. It's worth biting now because you benefit later much more.

Shrimp Keeper
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Even though this topic has been beaten to death, I will chime in anyway.

People have had great success with many different types of substrate. I have used ADA and SMS. I removed my ADA AS because it does not play well with hard water and I couldnt seem to get the brown cloud to ever leave my tank.

I am using SMS charcoal and my plants are doing very well and grow quickly and with great color.

I believe it boils down to a personal choice. They all work well.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've used AS, pool filter sand and fluorite. I like the AS for it's water softening properties, but I've had similar growth with fluorite. The pool filter sand was also excellent, but the plants were easily uprooted.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
in my limited experience, I've had a tank with sand, which worked really well. My second tank has been started with ECO-complete. Plants are doing great in that one as well. My next tank will be with AS I
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
You need to define precisely what you mean by "best" to you personally.

As far as laying, a dusting of ground peat is good, never hurts, can only help, not messing since there's not much, but as mentioned, not needed if you chose ADA AS. ADA can be messy for some folks, not the best stuff for folks that uproot often. Loaded with ferts. you can add about 5 grams of osmocoat per sq ft also if you so chose.

Sand, SMS, cheap etc, no nutrients.............so you do not get that benefit.
Mineralized soils/clays: cheap, but a lot of labor/work.

I like to use all the methods to make life easy. So water column dosing is easy and good, as is sediment ferts. Using both together makes life that much more simple, easy. You get more out of each source and have more flexibility, longer life from the sediment and less worry about dosing enough in the water column.

Really depends on the rate of growth and what type of work/labor you are interested in. Then there are aesthetcis, which rank pretty high with sediments.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Even though this topic has been beaten to death, I will chime in anyway.

People have had great success with many different types of substrate. I have used ADA and SMS. I removed my ADA AS because it does not play well with hard water and I couldnt seem to get the brown cloud to ever leave my tank.

I am using SMS charcoal and my plants are doing very well and grow quickly and with great color.

I believe it boils down to a personal choice. They all work well.
I really appreciate everyone chiming in, I'm still fairly new to this and like an idiot, instead of searching older threads i made my own and beat down the substrate topics again, was just wondering what was being used. when I set up my plant tank i used flourite dark mixed with aquariumplants.com substrate and really have had no problems, but I'm getting ready to set another tank up and was curious to see if there was better. thanks again for everyone responses

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode