Eco-Complete setup question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
Question Eco-Complete setup question.

I just recently started a new tank and I put in one bag of the eco-complete and it clouded the water real black... I read the instructions and it said that I could just dump the entire bag into the tank... I'm wondering if I Should have rinsed it first. It's been almost 3 days now and the water is still a hazy greyish colour although not as bad as when i first put it. I'm waiting for 6 more bags of the eco complete to arrive at my LFS. Should I rinse those or should I just put it in? How long does it take the water to clear up or be crystal clear again. I put some fish in the tank to cycle it and am hoping that the clouding won't adversely affect the fish.

thanks for your comments.

JL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Hater Member # 39
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72 Gallon All Glass Aquarium and Stand with Glass top, Eheim 2126 Pro II Thermo Canister Filter, Pressurized Co2, 260watt Coralife Lunar Lights, 100% Eco-Complete
10 Gallon Breeder tank with a Marineland 170 power filter with sponge filter attached and Marineland 100(?) heater
6 Gallon Marineland Eclipse 6, Semi heavily planted community tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hmm, when I put the eco complete in my 55 gallon, there was no clouding what so ever, which makes me think, are you sure you got the eco complete for planted aquariums, compaired to one of the other ones? Double check the bag. The water should clear up in a few days, but if your anxious a couple water changes, and gently pouring the water back in, should help immensly. Your fish should be ok, but you might want to check and see if theres any redness in the gills. If so, move it to another tank. As for rinsing the new bags, I say it's your call. Maybe it was just a bad bag, maybe not. I know I never got any clouding... You could try one more, and if it still clouds the water, rinse the rest. Up to you on that one. Good luck!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:06 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You do not rinse Eco-Complete and it normally does not cloud water with a black color.
It sounds more like you dumped a bag of Black Tahitan Moon Sand in the tank ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 12:31 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just poured my eco in. No clouding.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hmm.. well.. the colour of it was not exactly black like the substrate... it was more of a dark grayish haze. I normally can see through the other side of the tank where the hoses are hanging since it is not painted but after I put the eco-complete inside with the water I couldn't see anything for 2-3 days until it gradually got filtered away. The water right now is still a bit hazy even with the filter on all the time. I'm wondering if I got a bad bag... I bought the bag from Big Al's.... I'll try to take a picture of the tank when I get back home from work.

Thanks for all your help!

Eheim Hater Member # 39

72 Gallon All Glass Aquarium and Stand with Glass top, Eheim 2126 Pro II Thermo Canister Filter, Pressurized Co2, 260watt Coralife Lunar Lights, 100% Eco-Complete
10 Gallon Breeder tank with a Marineland 170 power filter with sponge filter attached and Marineland 100(?) heater
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...+Album&.view=l

these are a couple pics I took of the tank... I don't know if you can see the haze that's grayish in color in the water. It's been like that for several days now... I ordered a carbon filter for the canister filter to take the haze out... I hope the other bags aren't like that -_-

Eheim Hater Member # 39

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 01:08 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine was a little gray until it settled for a while then a little white for a day or two but cleared up nice after that. give it a little time..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 02:33 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
It doesn't look too bad Poohbee.

I agree, it will be fine in a little while.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for your replies and your assurances. =)

Eheim Hater Member # 39

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode