newbie 10gal plant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
newbie 10gal plant

After looking through this forum and seeing a few pictures. It would be nice to get into a little planted tank. On top of that I also want to grow snails because of my 2 main tanks. One has a turtle that loves to eat snails and the other is a puffer that needs snails to break down its teeth. So with that said i was wondering what would be needed to get a 10 gal planted tank started so i can grow a nice looking tank and a breed a few snails at the same time. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you spend an hour or so reading http://www.rexgrigg.com/ you will have some basic knowledge and will be able to focus your questions a lot better.

Hoppy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i was just wondering if I really need a filter on a 10 gallon tank, also it says I would need 71 watts for a 10 gallon tank., but since its not as tall i can get away with less. do you think 50 watts would be ok?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM

yes you need a filter and all u would need is 15 watts for a ten gallon and that would give u plenty just make sure to add ferts
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lastly what about co2... will i need one of these or if i just add the chemical additive would that be ok.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
DIY CO2 works on a 10 gallon tank, because it doesn't take a lot for that size tank. And, CO2 is very beneficial for any size tank, with any type of lighting. If you have good lighting the plants will need fertilizing to grow well, so you would want to add basic fertilizers and trace elements, following a good fertilizing schedule, such as the estimative index method. But, if you keep the lighting lower, you can get by with just the natural fertilizer that is fish waste, and possibly some fertilizer tabs in the substrate.

Hoppy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoppy, thanks for all the help and patience with me. But I have one question, if I was to pull water from another tank into the planed that has enough natural fertilizer, and then pump that water back into the first tank. would you still recommend a filter on the 10 gal plant tank. I might put one betta and a few snails in the tank that is all.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yes you can definitely run tanks with no filters, especially if you keep up with daily water changes.

IMO incorporating a filter would make your life much easier in the long run, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audithom View Post
would you still recommend a filter on the 10 gal plant tank. I might put one betta and a few snails in the tank that is all.
A Betta living with no filter is like you living with no toilet...

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
A Betta living with no filter is like you living with no toilet...
Agreed! Especially if you are going to put snails in and they begin multiplying. Plus snails also poop and will add to the waste load.

Just try and get a filter without a lot of current as Betta's don't like high current.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ohh the turtle tank is well filtered. I am running a fluval fx5, which works great. I am just getting a good bit of algae growth in the tank, and since most turtles like to eat plants it would be a up hill battle tryingto grow plants. So I was wondering if I were to pull water from that tank into the planted tank if i still would need a filter. If i run the filteri might not have enough outlets to run the pump.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

re: filter

it doesnt matter if you take water from one tank and put it in the new one, the waste is being generated way faster than you can ever imagine,

the time and effort u spend in transferring water from one tank to another is not worth it,

you can buy a cheaper submersible filter for like under $10

if you have a pump laying around or can get your hands on just make a DIY Filter, here is a link below to a simple diy filter

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...ticle&artid=87

Also one important thing to a succesful tank is to have the water cycling , and in your case you will be replacing the water the betta's are acclimated with every now and then which is not that great.Thats why a filter takes the dirty water and just purifies it, two different tanks can have two different types of water cycles

in conclusion just find a pump and some media(gravel/sponge/carbon)
and build your own filter or just buy one

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode