EST. planted tank needs new substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Post EST. planted tank needs new substrate

I allready have plants growing in my 10 gallon tank but I know the plants would do so much better if I had a better substrate rather than my color coated gravel. I was woundering how do i take my existing plants and fish and add the new substrate with out killing off my whole tank. Do I drain my water and place the fish and plants in it while I take out the gravel and pour everything back in or do I have to cycle the tank agin IDK?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
it's really not that hard, i did it this fall.

go out and buy the new gravel and a gravel vac/siphon (if you don't already have one). Drain the water into a big bucket, and put your fish in there, and put your plants in a separate bucket with a little water. Or in the same bucket, but make sure your fish have enough room to swim around. Then just take out the old gravel in handfuls and put in the new gravel (after rinsing it if needed). fill it up really slowly to avoid horribly cloudy water (mostly just if your going to use eco-complete), and then put your fish and plants back in.

Don't change your filter that day (wait a week or so), because then you will have a huge nitrogen spike and your fish will probably die. If you just leave it in place, the good bacteria should stay there and keep your fish just fine.

Congratulations, now you have a new addiction!
now go out and find some amazing looking new plants and let them thrive!

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just redid my 110g tank I had about 80lb of SMS I empty as much of my water that i could in some containers and 5 gal buckets , I did not touch my filter and I took all my fishes and plants out and put them in the same containers and empty my tank and replace my gravel with 6 boxes of ECO I fill with tap water and did a couple of water changes to get it clear then I filled it 3/4 way an added some Prime and ran my dirty filter over night , Next day I added all my water,fishes,plants and wood back in and did not loose a fish

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
wow that method sound really easy to do

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode