Eco-complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-complete

Where can i buy Eco-complete at for the cheapest price? Is that all i need to get started as far a the substraigh goes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Cheapest prices will be online, via Drsfosterandsmith.com or Thatpetplace.com or some other site. However, shipping for heavy substrate is not cheap.

And yes, eco is an all-inclusive substrate, although you might still want to put a root tab under heavy root feeders like swordplants.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
eco- complete

I have 8 bags of Eco-Complete Black that I got from them this week and it was suppose to be red, I will sell it for $125.00 plus shipping.. Donny

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Nevermind, I stand corrected, they make a red. Well I'll be...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I paid $19.99 Black ECO at a LFS and got 6 boxes for my 110g tank. Shipping and Handling I bought a 6-pack of 16oz Bud!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
if you are to purchase large amounts of substrate online, it's better to order from foster and smith because they do NOT charge extra for heavy shipping. They have flat rates determined by the amount of your purchase and NOT the weight.

BigAls goes by weight and even if they are cheaper per bag of substrate, you will end up paying more after shipping costs. Get quotes for both and do the cheaper route.

I saved about $30 by ordering 5 bags of flourite from foster&smith even though each bag was priced about $5 more than the same bag at BigAls'.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Do you ever have to replace the Eco-complete, will it lose its nutrience?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Over time..yes it will, depending on how often you do wc and how fast the plants grow..I would say by the end of the 2yr mark I could definately tell that my soil had lost much of its nutrients...I wonder thought, what most people do when that happens
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skratikans View Post
Over time..yes it will, depending on how often you do wc and how fast the plants grow..I would say by the end of the 2yr mark I could definately tell that my soil had lost much of its nutrients...I wonder thought, what most people do when that happens
You dose the water column and use root tabs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratikans View Post
That's all the more reason to dose water column fertilizers; to extend the life of the sediment beyond what it would normally last. You could always add root tabs when you reach nutrient exhaustion if you choose not to dose the water column. Keep in mind to that fish waste and mulm built up over time will also add to the nutrient value of the sediment, so by the time the sediment is close to nutrient exhaustion the effects of the built up mulm will already have kicked into gear.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I don't believe Eco Complete is a nutrient rich substrate. It does come with a liquid component mixed in, which, as far as I know, is just a "replacement" for the mulm that we usually use under new substrate when starting a tank. If you want a nutrient rich substrate, you should use ADA Aquasoil, or try a layered substrate with mineralilzed topsoil on the bottom.

Hoppy
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
From the caribsea catalog:

Eco-Complete™ Planted - Mineralogically complete! Contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants. Eco-Complete™ Planted Aquarium Substrate contains all the mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant aquatic plant growth without nuisance algae! Iron rich Eco-Complete™ eliminates the need for laterite. No artificial dyes, paints, or chemical coatings. Highly porous spherical grains for optimum diffusion performance. Eco-Complete™ contains live Heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants. It establishes a natural biological balance; which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Hoppy is right. What you are reading is a bunch of BS and marketing ploy. The only true substrate with immediate bioavailable nutients is ADA Aquasoil. That is why you pay an arm and a leg for it. Otherwise, with Eco-Complete and Fluorite, the nutrients are really locked in, although they may slowly be released as the roots penetrates the substrate and the substrate begins breaking down. This takes a long....time though. It is also not a plug and play solution. Most people still find that they have to dose the water column and ensure appropriate c02 and light levels if going high tech. I also question how, they can make a claim to having active Heterotrophic bacteria. Many of the bags of Eco-Complete sometimes stay in air tight bags for long periods of time. I am no expert on bacteria, but how any bacteria can indefinitely stay alive in an airtight bag without any oxygen exchange is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarasa View Post
From the caribsea catalog:

Eco-Complete™ Planted - Mineralogically complete! Contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants. Eco-Complete™ Planted Aquarium Substrate contains all the mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant aquatic plant growth without nuisance algae! Iron rich Eco-Complete™ eliminates the need for laterite. No artificial dyes, paints, or chemical coatings. Highly porous spherical grains for optimum diffusion performance. Eco-Complete™ contains live Heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants. It establishes a natural biological balance; which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode