Power sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Power sand

What is power sand? Is it some thing that you mix or buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Amano uses it as the bottom layer in his aquariums. Here is the product: http://www.adgshop.com/Power_Sand_s/22.htm

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much would I need for a 75 gallon?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Click on one of the products. Then click on the Tech Specs tab and it tells you how much to use. Here is one: http://www.adgshop.com/ProductDetail...Show=TechSpecs

Did you see the Extended Information tab? http://www.adgshop.com/ProductDetail...3&Show=ExtInfo

Many people do not use it and recommend that you don't use it. There is a lot of info about Power Sand on this forum.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Tom Barr is one person who advocates not using Power Sand. His advice has been to use the Aquasoil - great substrate - but not the Power Sand - marketing gimmick. Visit the Barr Report to search for more on that.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I used power sand, though in future tanks it will be absent. I hate the stuff personally, as it always manages to work its way up to the top layer of substrate, leaving unsightly white 'pebbles' on an otherwise pristine substrate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I think many assume any and everything a company claims to be true.
Heating cables come to mind.

If you add some peat and osmocoat, you get the same type of thing as far as nutrients, then all you have left is pumic, which is not particularly endearing for plants, growth etc.

It's just pumic, surface area.

ADA seems to pull the same claim that Dupla did with the heating cables, they claim, that it helps diffusion of O2 into sediments.

Well, the pore size of AS is quite large about 3-5mm between grains, plenty for "diffusion", even if it's really deep. Over time, and actually within less than a month, roots act like "pipes" and are embedded deep in the sediments.

There's no need for cables, PS etc.

Plant roots do the job. Ignoring the plant roots and the plant's role, the very thing both these two companies market, seems very odd to me. It seems more like a marketing ploy cooked up by some engineer at Dupla years ago to hock the cables. Since many still think this today and that it helps, ADA just co opted it for marketing. ADA used PS a long time ago and it's not a lot different than what many folks used back then either, osmocoat and and a little peat + their gravel.

That helped some. Adding a clay soft base like ADA AS helped a lot more, looks nice and holds a lot more nutrients. This helps a lot more than PS can.

As far as starting up times etc, well heck, water changes, good CO2, add lots of plants, add some mulm etc. Then roots grow like mad and you have a nicer looking tank and save yourself $ labor and time playing with PS.

Wait till you break an ADA sediment down and try and sepearate PS and AS.
Or pull some PS up replanting. Or perhaps you will place a steel mesh to keep them separated. Blah. Why bother?

Does not help in the long term.
Does not help in theory any more than say some osmocoat and dusting or ground peat. Certainly does not help based on O2 levels like Dupla claimed.

It cost more than ADA AS.

I've got nothing against ADA, I support many of their products and art, I use some things, but like any company, I rarely use all their products, just the ones that work and are reasonable. It's not 100% with anything or any brand.

Why some assume so, tosses any critical thinking right out the door.
Some Penac? You deserved to lose your $. Sometimes I worry when folks lose their common sense.

Note, I've measure the nutrient and soil parameters for PS, ADA AS, as well as running 4 tanks with and without PS, now much more tanks without......I cannot tell there's difference using it in practical terms. One or two tanks, you cannot say much, but quite a few tanks and quite a few other folks suggest the same conclusion.

The difference seems more to be with ADA AS, I agree it 's nice and helps.
That's something many folks can and do see a difference.
So some things work well and help, some you can pass on.
That is what we tend to expect with any product line. So is it surprising?

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode