Does aquasoil have living things in it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Does aquasoil have living things in it?

I was woundering about aquasoil. Lately I wanted to create some pure tanks which has nothing in it but what I want. So no little worms, not mini rams snails, and no planeria.

So I am starting clean. Clean bleached filters, dry tanks, and dried substate.

But does aquasoil come dried? Or is it wet? If it is moist, does it have little worms in it or other living things?

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's dry, but it's fairly soft, so there is some degree of moisture content.

Once in the aquarium it will be susceptible to billions of organisms.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No what I mean is that is there any things in it before its even in the tanks. Bacteria doesn't count. More like worms and such.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nope, just twigs. Are there any marketed substrates that come with fauna? Wouldn't that be an environmental hazard?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta View Post
Nope, just twigs. Are there any marketed substrates that come with fauna? Wouldn't that be an environmental hazard?
Eco complete comes wet with bacteria. AS does have moisture in it straight out of the bag, but it dries quickly.

-Chris

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM
FBG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
when I first added aquasoil to my small aquarium I found some little plants sprouting. but after a week it was dead. if you have the money for aquasoil I would suggest buying it, plants just seem to grow so much better in it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
No worms, but don't be surprised if random plants start growing out of it.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually, after setting up two tanks with ADA AS II, I noticed what looked like little white tiny fleas around the 2 week mark. They mainly remained confined to the tank walls. I did a Google search, and the closest I could find was that they were related to daphnia. When I first noticed this with the first tank that I set up, I figured they probably came with the plants. But I also noticed them with the second Aquasoil tank that I set up and the fact that I have set up other tanks with different substrates(pool filter sand, schultz aquatic soil, and fluorite) and never noticed them made me suspect that they hatched from the Aquasoil. They literally disappeared at about the 4 week mark without any intervention on my part. I don't believe they were/are harmful.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Actually, after setting up two tanks with ADA AS II, I noticed what looked like little white tiny fleas around the 2 week mark. They mainly remained confined to the tank walls. I did a Google search, and the closest I could find was that they were related to daphnia. When I first noticed this with the first tank that I set up, I figured they probably came with the plants. But I also noticed them with the second Aquasoil tank that I set up and the fact that I have set up other tanks with different substrates(pool filter sand, schultz aquatic soil, and fluorite) and never noticed them made me suspect that they hatched from the Aquasoil. They literally disappeared at about the 4 week mark without any intervention on my part. I don't believe they were/are harmful.
Yeah, I just noticed these in my 30c this week, but I have seen them in this tank before, when I had a sand substrate, but they couldn't have carried over I don't think because the tank was cleaned and dried for a few days between scapes.

-Chris

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks I want to try what I call as pure tanks. Im gonna try to make a tank with no hitchhikers. Trying to hard to get rid of everything else.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would you consider fluorite?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I already have flourite. I have tried for a long time where I have been cutting corners and trying to save money here and there. Now I'm left with less than stellar results. So I'm gonna try again and this time I'm gonna make it right.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can bake your AS to kill off any organisms, I guess.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Back from the dead!

My tank is literally storming with little tiny worms and some odd looking white things with tenticles. The "white things" grow somewhat like a plant and are stuck to my plants and glass but the worms are all over the place. Sometimes my HC seems as though they're dancing. Currently I have only 1 Oto with 25 shrimp in this tank. Does anyone know if these organisms are safe, and what can I do to control these worms other than tossing in fish that may also eat my shrimp?

BTW I'm using ADA AS as well. This is my 10g tank.

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
the white things are probably hydra.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode