growing UG in..... - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Will UG grow in this?
Yes, it'll do fine. 1 50.00%
No, you should buy some flourite or something to cap with 1 50.00%
Why did you go with mineralized if you plan on having a carpet?! 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
growing UG in.....

I'm going to be starting my 75 very soon with mineralized substrate. I got in a bunch of 3M colorquartz to cap with.

Is there any way that UG is going to grow in this? I've read a lot of people have issues getting carpet type plants to grow in mineralized substrate. (even though I've gotten most carpets to grow in SMS which is essentially inert) So can I grow the UG in 3M capped mineralized soil, or should I try and find some flourite or something to cap the dirt with in the front where the UG will be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
okay. I just read around a little more and found a few places where people have said that UG actually PREFERS an inert substrate. (makes sense. all of the land based carniverous plants prefer very inert root beds) In that case.... I'm guessing I should use ONLY the colorquartz in the foregrouns and keep the mineralized soil behind the "barrier" I'm making with the hardscape. My only lament is that I was planning on using some pogostemon helferi (downoi) in with the UG to break up the monotony a bit around the hardscape edges... will downoi be okay with the inert substrate, or will the mineralized soil in the rear f the tank not release enough into the water column to support this plant? I fear this will become a lesson in futility if I'm not careful to get some hard answers from more seasoned aquascapers before setup. (which should be in less than two weeks)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode