ADA Amazonia I--Muddy Mess - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
ADA Amazonia I--Muddy Mess

Long Story...Short Version
We had to take down a brand new set up due to the overall height of tank. Had a layer of power sand with Amazionia I on top. Scooped out top layer and left a small amount on bottom replace stand and my husband refilled and when he did he just dumped the buckets in and disturbed everything. I hurt my back on the initial fill of the tank, that is why he was filling!!!
When I initially set this up the water was crystal clear.
Now it is a muddy mess. What should I do all of the substrate & power soil are mixed together. I so want this tank to look great. Have had a power filter running on it all day and still muddy.
I have enough to start over with fresh soil. If this stuff is salvageable I wondered if removing from this tank and allowing it to dry out, could this soil them be used in another tank without being a mess??

I am having one of those days that I need to find a way to put in the rear view mirror.
Oh I so need help here.
Thank You
Karen

Karen / Cocobid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Just give it time. If you have more filter media (floss type) stuff as much of that in there as possible without killing all of the flow. It might take a few days.

PS- Did you get my PM about the snails?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Leave it alone or you can run a filter like bsmith782 said. Personally, I like running a DE filter after I setup the tank. Takes about a day, but afterwards, it's crystal clear. Part of the "dust" settles and the other part gets removed by the DE powder.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very frustrating. Went out to our storage room to the aquarium dept...LOL
Retrieved a large HOB filled with floss and added a water clarifying secret weapon on mine...ACCUREL F 50ML
Don't laugh this stuff works. I use Purigen in all of my tanks but not going to contaminate it with all of this muck. So here we are some 7 hours into this and the tank now looks like milk instead of mud.

BSmith Yes I did I have breathing bags on the way. Thank You for taking some. They really are pretty.

Epic will this "dust" kick up every time we move something around, or will it settle out to the bottom. Oh would I kill for a DE....
Oh that Husband of mine I can see the bottom of this tank...he is in the Dog House big time.

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Evert tank I have with AS gets cloudy when I uproot stuff, unfortunately. I really hate that about it. Yet, just tonight, I ordered another 3L of ADA AS Powder for my office nano!!!1!!111!!

BTW, do the snails eat plants?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No they don't eat plants but they will roll over them. You can feed pleco pellets, decaying plants, left over foods, zucchini they need food not just to fend for themselves. So bear that in mind. They are peaceful and just fun to watch. Oh Kale they need foods with calcium for shell development. The 88yr / Ann's tank she feeds pleco pellets and hers are huge and reproducing.
Hope this helps.

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fantastic Karen.

What kind of filter is on this muddy tank btw?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It was a freebie that was accompanying the 60 cube. I believe it is a whisper 60 the dual sided. I just pulled everything and filled with floss. Have an Eheim & aquaclear 70 on it. It is fancy Goldfish that is heavily planted in pots. Amazingly the pots just are not that visible. This is an older pics have since removed the glass.

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, just have some patience it will clear up eventually. Unless your blowing soooo much water that it is disrupting the substrate?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This AM I was so #%W&W I did have it on full flow and somehow I noticed the bottom actually churning!!!!!!
All I could do is laugh, the old insult to injury analogy. Really just laugh..
Thank Goodness that this model has a very good flow control on it.

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Is that the goldfish from Pinocchhio?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is when my Mom was starting her declining years I would go by the fish store on my way home, to decompress. Yes I had to take the car away and I was her personal driver, shopper, mover what ever her commands LOL I was her go to girl. One day 3 came home with me and it went from there. 2 tanks and just love them very happy. I have several planted tanks and adding one more. They are happy fish and their setting in our home is quite entertaining. One is in between 2 rooms sort of like floating fish and the other in a den. They act like a litter of puppies.

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode