1 LESS ADA Fan! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
1 LESS ADA Fan!

Hey Everyone, as the title says im little ticked. I setup my 55 with 3 bags of eco complete and decided to top that with 1 9L bag of ADA Amozonia II.

Well that was a big mistake. The ADA made my tank a muddy mess, and I mean muddy! I tried clarifiers, water changes everyday for a week, nothing helped, best it got was still very foggy, but as soon as I touched the ADA it kicked up a mud cloud.

So I had to throw out $100 worth of substate! There was no saving it, Id spend more time trying to clean it then its worth.

Does ADA standing behind there product? This will be the true test to see how good of a company they are! I took this pic as I was tearing the tank down tonight. Not very fun! So u can understand me being a lil ticked at ADA substrate!!!

Im sticking to Eco!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Lnd
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
The ADA substrate is very fragile and easily disturbed. Did you by chance crumble some of the AS? That would explain the unusual brownish water. I've used AS twice now, it will cloud for 3-4 weeks, but after its clear and soft water with nutrient rich substrate
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
your problem was topping off eco with AS. AS should be used as the only substrate. i topped my eco with AS and all of the dust was trapped from falling to the bottom because the grains of Eco were too small to get past. if you had a 3 inch layer of AS, the dust would settle to the bottom of the tank...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I had this happen when I used ADA Amazonia II. I changed it out to regular Amazonia and never got cloudy water. I've even added it to flourite tanks and gotten no dust. Sounds to me like you had a bad batch.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
You guys probably don't want to see this then... AS I poured through the water column over ecocomplete... no cloudiness... slight tea color to water that was taken care of with a water change.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm more of a regular GRAVEL fan. I used Eco-Complete in my 29gal and it was ok, not great, but ok...and when I needed to clean the tank, I'd suck out more than I wanted to. I now have about 5 LBS. in my 10gal and about 2LBS. in my 5gal out of 20LBS! When I get a chance, and some more $$, I'm switching to flourite(and buy some more plants).

I'm weird because I perfer the FISH over the PLANTS.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
I had this happen when I used ADA Amazonia II. I changed it out to regular Amazonia and never got cloudy water. I've even added it to flourite tanks and gotten no dust. Sounds to me like you had a bad batch.
I 2X.

Personally, I have had no issues with the 40 gallon ADA AS II that I set up and that has been up since Dec 08 and also no issues with a low tech ADA AS II tank that has been up for a month. The inconsistency in some people having issues and others having no issues suggests that there may be bad batches floating around. In fact one of the main supplies of ADA AS II refuses to carry it and only recommends original ADA AS due to such issues. I suggest taking pictures of your tank and sending them to ADA and requesting that they give you a full refund or at the very least give you the equivalent replacement of original ADA AS. Let us know the response. As much as I like ADA AS, if ADA is not prepared to stand behind their product, I for one do not plan on purchasing it again. Sorry to hear about your issues and hope ADA does the right thing.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I use ADA amazonia type 2 and type 1. It creates a dust cloud very easily but settles down soon after. It never lasts for more than 12 hours for me, and that is if I do a HUGE tank rescape. Like, as in I plucked out every single plant in my tank.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties though. Throwing down 100 dollars worth of substrate out hurts :-( People already laugh at me when i tell them I spent over 200 dollars on dirt (aquasoil).

Shrimp Keeper
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sorry to hear your loses.
Why add Eco-complete when AS already got tons of nutrient?
Though i am more of a eco fan because of there much less hassle over other substrate.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I haven't tried ECO yet, but I've had no issues with Amazonia I in my 10g. I'm actually planning to use it again in a series of different tanks.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia I is the best substrate I've ever used, and I've used pretty much everything. I've never had a problem with it over the last 4 years. I can't say I've heard positive things about Amazonia II though, but I'm not looking to try it. I don't care for its supposed purpose when there is nothing wrong with Amazonia I to begin with.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm with you, we might have even had some of the same batch of ADA AZ II, mine did exactly the same thing, and even killed MTS.

I ended up swapping out for Mineralized Soil, but I mixed a little of the ADA back in just b/c I'd spent so much $$ on it... but now I'm regretting that- I killed some more MTS this week

Sooooo... $100 worth of ADA AS is going into some flower pots come spring. (These flowers sure had better be happy...)

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
unusual for mts deaths. i couldnt kill mine if i tried. must be something in your bag of AS2. maybe it got fumigated or something in shipping. flowers will not notice the difference, i used old as for some and to be honest, plain ole dirt is better.

as for the original post, i actually went the other route with my daughters 20L and capped AS1 with eco. i dont like plant growth with eco, but i prefer its consistancy to AS, easier to keep plants down, especially with the may cories in her tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger View Post
Hey Everyone, as the title says im little ticked. I setup my 55 with 3 bags of eco complete and decided to top that with 1 9L bag of ADA Amozonia II.

Well that was a big mistake. The ADA made my tank a muddy mess, and I mean muddy! I tried clarifiers, water changes everyday for a week, nothing helped, best it got was still very foggy, but as soon as I touched the ADA it kicked up a mud cloud.

So I had to throw out $100 worth of substate! There was no saving it, Id spend more time trying to clean it then its worth.

Does ADA standing behind there product? This will be the true test to see how good of a company they are! I took this pic as I was tearing the tank down tonight. Not very fun! So u can understand me being a lil ticked at ADA substrate!!!

Im sticking to Eco!

at least your asII overall appears to still be in its granular form. i have a batch that literally disintegrated after being in water after a few hours. search amazonia II, you'll see what i mean.

i've gone to using river delta soil (already mineralized), kicks ada's butt, without cloudiness. best of all, it's free.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where did you get free soil from?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode