ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II cycled but have bad seal - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
smg980's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 179
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II cycled but have bad seal

I already have my 10 gallon RCS shrimp tank establish for some while now. This evening, I found that my table was wet. After further investigation, I found out that I have a bad seal on my aquarium.

My question is...since the ADA Aquasoil has already been cycled, can I just transfer everything to another 10 gallon aquarium, add majority of the same tank water and my shrimp back in immediately after the dust settles? OR do I have to wait to add the shrimp for it to cycle again since it was disturbed? Please let me know as I will have to do this ASAP.

Thanks!

EHFIPIMP #319 -- 2026, (2) 2028s, 2213, (2) 1250s
smg980 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 791
Although your tank is cycled, that does not mean that the AS is not still producing ammonia. It could just be that your cycled tank is keeping up with the AS ammonia production. Disturbing the substrate will reduce it's ability to handle the ammonia, which could lead to a spike. However, I'd say go ahead and do the switch, and just do very frequent testing the first few days (more than once a day). I think this will give you a better shot at good results then you would with the shrimp in a bucket. Also keep in mind that most of the ammonia is probably handled by the filter, not the substrate.
cjp999 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 791
A few more things I just thought of:
  • You said it "been cycled for a while now". Are you talking, days, weeks, or months? If months, I'd say a spike is unlikely to happen as a result of disturbing the AS since shrimp produce so little waste. However...
  • Disturbing all the detritus in the substrate can cause a spike even in an otherwise well cycled and undisturbed tank. I'm not sure what to say about how to handle this. AS supposedly is not to be rinsed or vacuumed because it is somewhat fragile.
  • Don't clean the filter until things have settled for a week or two.
cjp999 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
bsmith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (278/99%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 9,060
All of the things cjp999 has said are true. You should be fine. Just gswitch everything over asap and get that filter hooked up. I would frequently measure your parameters just to see if anything is happening. Your RCS should be the first indicator of the tank health though, they will start acting wierd if your parameters stert fluctuating to the bad area.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bsmith is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower
 
bolivianram123's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 140
Send a message via AIM to bolivianram123
don't mean to threadjack, kind of, but i have a situation similar to this one and didn't want to start another thread with basically the same question.


im planning on redoing my 20L with AS. right now it's got eco-complete. I was planning on moving the eco-complete in this tank, along with some used AS i got from a friend, to a 10gallon i have that is already set up (removing that substrate). Would this cause a mini cycle or something?
the 10 gallon already has a filter and has been running for quite some time now.

also, if i set up a bare brand new 10 gallon with a bunch of java moss, and a filter (or two if need be) that has been in use for a while now too, would i get a mini cycle from that?


again sorry to threadjack,
bolivianram123 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivianram123 View Post
im planning on redoing my 20L with AS. right now it's got eco-complete. I was planning on moving the eco-complete in this tank, along with some used AS i got from a friend, to a 10gallon i have that is already set up (removing that substrate). Would this cause a mini cycle or something?
the 10 gallon already has a filter and has been running for quite some time now.
If you add new AS to your 20L, I doubt the cycled filter could handle the ammonia produced by the AS. If you add old AS, then the answer is basically the same as for the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivianram123 View Post
also, if i set up a bare brand new 10 gallon with a bunch of java moss, and a filter (or two if need be) that has been in use for a while now too, would i get a mini cycle from that?
Java moss doesn't grow very fast, so it won't consume much ammonia.

If the filters are cycled, then the answer is basically the same as with your first question if you are adding new AS, or the OP's question if you are adding old AS.
cjp999 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Algae Grower
 
bolivianram123's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 140
Send a message via AIM to bolivianram123
I meant for the 10 gallon, I understand the 20l will need to re-cycle. But I was wondering since the 10g already has a cycled filter and the Eco complete from the 20l already has some bacteria, if this would cause a mini-cycle in the 10g tank. What about the used aqua soil that's been dry for a couple of days now?


As for the bare tank, if I just put hornwort would that work? It's only a holding tank until the 20l is finished cycling.



-----edit---
Okay I understand what your saying. Thanks for the help!
bolivianram123 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
smg980's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp999 View Post
A few more things I just thought of:
  • You said it "been cycled for a while now". Are you talking, days, weeks, or months? If months, I'd say a spike is unlikely to happen as a result of disturbing the AS since shrimp produce so little waste. However...
  • Disturbing all the detritus in the substrate can cause a spike even in an otherwise well cycled and undisturbed tank. I'm not sure what to say about how to handle this. AS supposedly is not to be rinsed or vacuumed because it is somewhat fragile.
  • Don't clean the filter until things have settled for a week or two.
It has been setup for a few months.

To keep things under control and in case there is an ammonia spike, should I plan on doing a 25% water change every other day? I just don't want to lose my population of RCS.

Thanks in advance.

EHFIPIMP #319 -- 2026, (2) 2028s, 2213, (2) 1250s
smg980 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg980 View Post
It has been setup for a few months.

To keep things under control and in case there is an ammonia spike, should I plan on doing a 25% water change every other day? I just don't want to lose my population of RCS.

Thanks in advance.
I would let the ammonia and nitrite testing dictate your water changes. At the first trace of either, start with 25%. Do more or do them more frequently if they continue to rise.
cjp999 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome