Gravel Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Gravel Help!

Hey Everyone, I have an issue here I was looking for some Advise / help on.

On my 55 im setting up, I put in 3 bags of eco Complete, and I wanted to try ADA Amonzonia II with it, so I layed 1 9L bag on top of the eco.

When I filled the tank it made a muddy, nasty mess even being extra careful not to disturb the base. I drained the tank and filled it again, still had very muddy mess. I added some Seachem Clarity hoping this would cause the particles to cling and the filter would trap em, this was on Sunday.

The tank is still very hazy, doesnt seem to be getting any better.

It may be a bacteria bloom, but how long does that last?
I heard 3 or 4 days? Its been 4 days and no improvement.

Im tempting to just scrap the ADA off the top and stick to the Eco Complete.

Any other suggestions, I do like the look of the ADA Amonzonia but its just too dam messy for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
This issue come sup frequently - it seems aquasoil has been pretty hit or miss lately; some people have severe clouding issues and others none at all. It seems like (unfortunately for you) you fall into the former category. Do a search for "aquasoil clouding" or "aquasoil cloudiness" and you'll find literally dozens of threads regarding this issue. Best of luck.

Oh yes - I might suggest multiple, high-volume water changes to fix the problem. When you add water back to the tank, do it slowly, gently - maybe put a plate down and direct the water to hit the plate rather than disturb the substrate. And don't forget about the 2-3-4-5-or-6 week ammonia spike - you don't wanna kill any fish or anything.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm having trouble with eco complete cloudiness. I have done multiple water changes and it hasn't helped much. Everything is coated in a sediment now. I guess I'm not much help, just wanting to know if you have found a solution or if the cloudiness has settled out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im surprised your having trouble with the Eco Complete. Ive had good results with Eco. I did have a problem a few years ago but that was part of some bad batches, but has since been corrected to my knowledge.

Maybe try a water clarifier or do a major water change and refill very slowly so u dont disturb the gravel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Planted Member

i have also have problems with eco making my water really cloudy. tons of water changes helped fix the problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There were some bad batches of Eco that went out more than a year ago where the liquid they were packaged in turned cloudy (I think it was a phosphate problem if I remember correctly?)- I think most people ditched those, or called Carib Sea and got it replaced- it was bad stuff and killed fish.

So- be careful once you start stocking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
I believe the ADA AS soils are very cloudy when you first set them up. but II isn't supposed to be as cloudy as I, so I'm not quite sure...maybe you just have to let it settle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode