Giving up on SMS Black - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Giving up on SMS Black

After 3 hours washing 1 50# bag of SMS, only to find it cloud the water just by toughing it, I decided to scoop out about a quart of it and try rinsing it some more. I went though 15 rinses ( fill container, swish hand trough SMS, dump dirty water, repeat ). It never seem to get any cleaner. I dont know if rubbing the SMS around with my hand was causing more dust, or what. So, I went out tonight and bought 150# of the smallest sized gravel I could find ( at Meijers, a big box store ). $14 per 25# bag, but made for aquariums and not much dust seen looking through the bag. Its a clay brown, so will make the tank look more natual, which was my plan before I got side tracked with the black SMS.

PS: Got 4 full bags SMS black, cheap to who whats it...LOL

PPS: I was able to also pick up 5 Panda cories while I was there. Sales guy said they were supposed to be $8.39 ea,. but sense they were in the wrong tank, I get them for $4.99 ( price for the green cories ). They are resting in my established 55, but will go in my 110 once it has cycled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my only commernt for sms is that it reqires time and do not rinse. after a propper cycle time it will be fine. like everything in this hobby its all about taking your time and letting nature do what is does.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I never rinsed mine. Poured it in the tank with the water already in it. Clouded up, but cleared in about 20 minutes. Havent had an issue yet.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

I understand some of you used it with out problems, but I am here to say not all Oil-dry SMS Black are created equal. I have read a few other comments from others who ran into the same problem as I. Frustration is driving 3 hours round trip just to buy this SMS and then end up with dust storms from hell. Oh well. I really wanted a more natural look anyways.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon1977 View Post
my only commernt for sms is that it reqires time and do not rinse. after a propper cycle time it will be fine. like everything in this hobby its all about taking your time and letting nature do what is does.
I'm not new to Aquariums and am fully aware of a proper tank cycle. But if you can explain to me how a cycle will take away my dust storms with SMS, you'll be my hero.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
I have sms in my tank and I only washed it a few times.. yes the tank was cloudy when it first got going but after an hr or so it cleared up.

sms will move easily when your hand is swished over it for quite awhile. it is light and airy for awhile until it gets settled in.

what are you using for filtration?

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The easiest way I've found to rinse material like that is with a trip to Home Depot. A five gallon bucket and a 5 gallon paint strainer. Drill some large holes at the bottom of the bucket on the sides. Fasten the strainer to the bucket. Put in your material and rinse and repeat until your done.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Algae Grower

I used the Oil Dri from wal mart and it clouded up like crazy, still it wasn't any worse then the flourite I used on a 20g tank though and after a few days it doesn't cloud up to bad.

I'm not advocating Oil Dri however, if I had it to do over again I'd have chosen a different path. Or perhaps I would have aged it so I wasn't in the perdicerment I'm in now; that is with a very acidic tank.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
I have sms in my tank and I only washed it a few times.. yes the tank was cloudy when it first got going but after an hr or so it cleared up.

sms will move easily when your hand is swished over it for quite awhile. it is light and airy for awhile until it gets settled in.

what are you using for filtration?
The problem was a simple light wave of the hand over the SMS, or a little fiddling of trying to place something in the SMS, and smoke clouds appeared. And I'm not talking about just the SMS moving, I'm talking about the dust clouds. Just thinking about the 10 or so cories I wanted in this tank, and the clouds I'd have while thier snooting around, made me re-think my substrate.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also giving up on SMS after a year an it still gets cloudy when i do my gravel cleaning , I took my time cleaning the SMS before putting it in my 110g tank with a strainer.
Now I'm replacing it with 6 boxes of ECO
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM

I think we used something called Aqua-Terra Black Sand it is Acrylic coated one rinse was all it took my Husband bought it on line somewhere it is sooo gorgeous!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Why would you use oil-dry for aquarium substrate? I've never heard this before? I've also never seen it in black either.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to otter
I would steer clear of the SMS. I've had the black in one of my tanks for about two years... what a nightmare. It eventually turns soft, everything that you do in the tank causes a nasty mud storm. I have an unopened bag of the charcoal if anyone wants it!

Dan O

46g bowfront, BML 6300K, Black fluorite, Filstar XP3, pressurized Co2, Milwaukee reg & SMS122, AM 1000

5g 36W 6700K, flourite, ZooMed 501, DIY Hagen Co2 & bubble ladder
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
No problems with SMS here. Clouded up for a 2-3 hours, left a slight haze in the tank for a day, and then clear. Been a year. My only complaint is how light it is. Hard to get plants to stay down. I mixed some Flourite in 50/50 6 months ago, and everything's been cool ever since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__
__

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode