SMS-Length of Time it Will Keep PH/KH Low? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (157/99%)
Question SMS-Length of Time it Will Keep PH/KH Low?

Can anyone tell me how long SMS Lasts?
I don't think buffer is the right term because it lowers ph/kh.
My source water is very hard and using SMS has become a blessing for keeping Apistos. So much that I'm gonna try CRS.
The ph swings during pwc is not that great right now (1 point noticeable swing using API kit) returns to pre-pwc range in 24hours. I kind of need an idea of how long I can expect before the clay/nutrients run out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS-253-A & MATHESON DUAL STAGE
Model #3102

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me how long before SMS stops acting as an acidic buffer?

VICTOR PIMP #2

Model #3102

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does Anyone Use SMS?

VICTOR PIMP #2

Model #3102

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
I use SMS, more or less. I was 100% on SMS for 6 months, then 50/50 with some Flourite I got for free.

What's interesting about your approach is that, in my experience, people have been more interesting in how long before SMS stops messing with water chemistry and stabilizes....kind of looking at it's KH dropping potential as a bad thing. It's the same question you are asking, but from a different angle.

I used it 6 months with consistently low KH. My KH is pretty low out of the tap, ~2 deg, but still, 1 year after adding the SMS, KH in my tank is 0 if I don't add some buffer.

So, at least a year.

Not the best answer, I know.

__
__
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I use SMS, more or less. I was 100% on SMS for 6 months, then 50/50 with some Flourite I got for free.

What's interesting about your approach is that, in my experience, people have been more interesting in how long before SMS stops messing with water chemistry and stabilizes....kind of looking at it's KH dropping potential as a bad thing. It's the same question you are asking, but from a different angle.

I used it 6 months with consistently low KH. My KH is pretty low out of the tap, ~2 deg, but still, 1 year after adding the SMS, KH in my tank is 0 if I don't add some buffer.

So, at least a year.

Not the best answer, I know.
I guess it's kind of a glass half empty or half full perspective. Using SMS' Acidic Buffering capabilities as a positive.

I stated on another site that this tank has been setup for a few months, but I had forgotten that I was originally using it in the shed as a Plant holding/QT tank last spring. So, it's at least 9 months old.
My source water is 10-11dkh and this tank stays at 3dkh. So you can see how I find it to be beneficial.

At any rate thanks for the reply. I tried to do a calculation on how long it might maintain its' buffering capabilities, but that is just pure speculation so I hoped some people could share their experience.

VICTOR PIMP #2

Model #3102

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode