Substrate for 20 gallon long...ADA Amazonia or not - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate for 20 gallon long...ADA Amazonia or not

I am going to be setting up a new 20 gallon long setup and I was considering ADA Amazonia for my substrate, but I am now unsure if it is going to be a good choice after reading some of the posts about aquasoil being messy and breaking down here on the forum. I dont want to use an expensive substrate that may end up breaking down and being super messy.

Should I still take a chance and use ADA Amazonia, or should I be safe and use a different substrate? What are other good substrates that you wuold reccommend if you dont reccommend ADA Amazonia?

If I do use ADA Amazonia would one 9L bag be enough to fill up my 20 gallon long tank, or would I need more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good Questions, Im no expert with ADA but my initial experience is that its very messy and yes it does break down easy so long term durability is questionable. If you squeeze a grain in betwen your fingers, it just breaks down into grains.

Im sure its an awesome substrate but I believe ADA came out with this to avoid having substrate scratching there tanks. It does excel in that area where its not sharp at all.

I used Eco complete and then topped that with a 1inch layer of ADA, but its making a muddy mess that Im dealing with. Im battling a decision whether to leave it or not but I do love Eco Complete and I dont think you can go wrong using a proven substrate!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger View Post
Good Questions, Im no expert with ADA but my initial experience is that its very messy and yes it does break down easy so long term durability is questionable. If you squeeze a grain in betwen your fingers, it just breaks down into grains.

Im sure its an awesome substrate but I believe ADA came out with this to avoid having substrate scratching there tanks. It does excel in that area where its not sharp at all.

I used Eco complete and then topped that with a 1inch layer of ADA, but its making a muddy mess that Im dealing with. Im battling a decision whether to leave it or not but I do love Eco Complete and I dont think you can go wrong using a proven substrate!

Yeah I would also want a substrate that lasts longer especially since ADA aquasoil is so expensive! :P

Yeah I have used eco complete before and thought that it was a pretty good substrate. It was really easy to use...I just dumped it into my tank and the water cleared out very quickly.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone else with any input on whether or not I should get ADA Amazonia?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I don't know about ADA substrate, But I have excellent result with Eco-Complete. Is so easy to use, But there where some problem with old bags of Eco-Complete. Thus, make sure that you get new bags. That's was long time ago, but I thought you should know.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
ADA aquasoil lasts a long time. some have said after a few years it starts breaking down. I've heard you cna dry it out to get it back to original form.

I currently use Amazonia I and won't ever use anything else again. I've previously used Flourite, Mineralized Top Soil, Sand, gravel but none have been as nice as the ADA.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How much ADA Amazonia would I need to fill a 20 gallon long? Would one 9L bag be neccesary? Or would I need more?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd get a 9L and a 3L, per ADA's recommendation.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
just get 2 9Ls and have some left over you'll thank yourself (i know i did)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Agreed, there's always another tank to put it in. =P

I used about 1/2 a 9L in my 10g. I'll be setting up a 20L next and rescaping my 40 as soon as I can find a BIG tank.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

About how long would the waiting period be until the ADA Amazonia stops leeching ammonia into the water?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bolivianram123
i was with mizu-chan when she first switched to ADA AS, and if i remember it took about a month. I think it depends on how many and how much water changes you do.

if your still debating over wether to get it or not, i saw mizus tank grow better in one month than it had in 6 months when she had a mix of eco-complete and schultz aquatic soil just from the AS.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have heard that the growth from the Aquasoil is very good, I was jsut a little afraid of getting a "bad batch" or whatever and ending up having a big mess (that is also expensive).

I was at the LFS today and they had Aquasoil Amazonia for $40 a bag. Is this a reasonable price, or is it sort of expensive?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykogngsta View Post
I have heard that the growth from the Aquasoil is very good, I was jsut a little afraid of getting a "bad batch" or whatever and ending up having a big mess (that is also expensive).

I was at the LFS today and they had Aquasoil Amazonia for $40 a bag. Is this a reasonable price, or is it sort of expensive?
That is a really good price. Most people end up paying an arm and a leg with shipping. These days it seems really difficult to decide when you hear about bad batches of Eco-Complete floating around, bad batches of ADA Aquasoil. Even SMS/oildri messes with water parameters(KH/PH) which makes you think twice about getting it. About your only safe bet seems to be mineralized topsoil(if you can get all the ingredients including dolomite and the right type of soil and clay), fluorite(sand, black, or regular), or just plain old pool filter sand capped over some root tabs.

I have had no issues to date with ADA Aquasoil II but I would not risk purchasing it again to set up more tanks given all the issues people are experiencing. I would stick with original ADA Aquasoil which seems to be a much safer bet. If I could not afford it, I would go with mineralized topsoil, redsea flora base(alleged to grow plants as well as Aquasoil but much cheaper), or fluorite sand or regular black.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
That is a really good price. Most people end up paying an arm and a leg with shipping. These days it seems really difficult to decide when you hear about bad batches of Eco-Complete floating around, bad batches of ADA Aquasoil. Even SMS/oildri messes with water parameters(KH/PH) which makes you think twice about getting it. About your only safe bet seems to be mineralized topsoil(if you can get all the ingredients including dolomite and the right type of soil and clay), fluorite(sand, black, or regular), or just plain old pool filter sand capped over some root tabs.

I have had no issues to date with ADA Aquasoil II but I would not risk purchasing it again to set up more tanks given all the issues people are experiencing. I would stick with original ADA Aquasoil which seems to be a much safer bet. If I could not afford it, I would go with mineralized topsoil, redsea flora base(alleged to grow plants as well as Aquasoil but much cheaper), or fluorite sand or regular black.
I think I am going to try and use ADA Aquasoil since I have hear good things about it. I guess ill chance it and buy just one bag to fill up my tank for now and ill get another bag if necessary. The mineralized topsoil sounds like a good idea also, but I dont know if I can find all the things needed to make it, plus i dont know if I am patient enough to go through the process in order to make it lol.

Tags
what substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode