Is this just repackaged SMS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this just repackaged SMS?

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss.htm

I almost ordered a pail of this but am now hearing it's just SMS which I paid $23 for 100 pounds for. I did not like it at all and wanted to make sure I was not paying for the same thing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Looks like I already got my answer. Not sure why aquariumplants calls this "their own" substrate when it's just the regular SMS.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
You can spike SMS with various nutrients also.
You can also use it like sand with mineralized soil.

There's volcanic rock, there's cooked clays(this and flourite) and then there's the semi soft clays, like ADA AS and Kitty litter etc.

Then plain old sands and CaCO3 and dolomites.

Each has a different use and trade off etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Tom. My problem was the dust from SMS. It just never would go away even after many months. Never thought to mix it but I may have to try that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I always washed my SMS before using it and didn't have any dust problems. But, some people reported that they didn't wash it and they also said they had no dust problems. I do know that mine was extremely dirty out of the bag.

Hoppy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mine, too. And I washed it forever. I may have to end up getting it tho and mixing it with the sand I am now using. I would like to have some aquatic soil on the bottom but I may be moving in a few months and that would be a huge mess.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wash mine SMS out good in a strainer last year {80lb} and i still get a lot of dust when i do my water changes so I'm given up and replacing it with ECO
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:14 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use this product in my 46g, it is a little light weight at the start but had no dust really at all and it doesn't dust up when i move it around, seems to not be degrading at all. I have to say cost + looks + cleanness IM really happy with this stuff! I had read that this is repackaged SMS but i don't believe it plus i am not 100% about this but didnt they stop making the black SMS?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've seen both substrates firsthand and there's no doubt they're the same IMO.

I've used SMS charcoal for a couple years now mixed with black sand with good results. It's a little lightweight but with the sand it makes planting a lot easier. I had no major issues with dust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 05:19 AM

Sheesh, no warnings to me about dust before I bought the SMS. I Just rinsed one 50# bag. Took me 3 hours straight. 2 cups at a time, dumped into a gallon rectangle sized container. After 3 rinses ( swirl my hand to move the sms around, drain, fill and swirl, drain, ect ), it wasnt too bad. But even after 3 rinses, I could still get dusty water if I rinsed it again. Of course it wasnt as bad as the 1st two rinses, but it was dusty. I just figured once in the tank I'd be ok.

I'm wondering if I should stop at the 50# I now have in my tank and add 30-40# black sand, or continue with the 30-40# SMS as planned, or dump it all and go all natural sand???

I thought I read up enough and made the right decision when I bought the SMS. Now you guys got me shakin in my boots.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
I've been using SMS for almost 6 months now in my 72 gal. Never a dust issue except the first day I put it in. I really like the stuff. I made it a top layer over a sand and flourite bottom.

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have white sand in my tank now and think I may mix it with SMS. Maybe make this white sand not so white and add some weight to the SMS.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode