Eco-complete question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-complete question

I have had a planted tank for a few years and I ended up having some problems with it, my light broke and my CO2 regulator broke and the plants died. So for the last year I have just had fake plants in there. Trying to decide if I'm up for all the work again of having real plants again. I have been having a lot of algae blooms lately, it's on top of the gravel and on my driftwood. Is it a problem keeping this gravel without any plants? If I decide not to do live plants again, should I be switching the gravel to something else?

Thanks,
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

From the title of your thread it looks like you're considering Eco Complete. That's a better plant substrate than gravel, but you can also have decent results with gravel depending on your plant choices.

Sounds to me like you've got too much light on the tank- what kind of lighting are you running, and how long is the photoperiod each day?

Do you want to set back up a tank with CO2, or would you prefer a low tech/ low light setup with no CO2?

You might want to spend some time on www.aquariaplants.com or www.RexGrigg.com doing a little basic research on how to set up a planted tank, and the setup options available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm sorry, I meant that my tank has eco-complete. It's been in there for 5 years. I have plant lights but I'm not really running them since I don't have any live plants right now. I'm just wondering if the nutrients in the eco-complete will cause problems for my tank since I don't have any live plants in there. Do I need to get the eco-complete out of there if I don't have real plants?
Melissa

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Your Eco is fine unless it gets mushy then it's time to replace it.
Other than that it's only saving grace is it's high iron content
(just like Flourite) but it leaches out over time.

~

Algae blooms are normally caused by two issues, overfeeding
and to much light. I'd recommend cutting back on your light
(from 10hrs to 8hrs for instance) to see if that help. Unless
you decide to go with C02 again then use full light.

~

If you decide to go with live plants again I'd recommend using
liquid ferts like Seachem's Flourish, Iron, and Excel plus add
some nirite snails for cleanup.

- Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode