ADA AQUASOIL, 2 year review, back in the game, recommendations for new black substrt? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA AQUASOIL, 2 year review, back in the game, recommendations for new black substrt?

Hi, kinda been outta the game for the past year or so. still have my tank setup, but havent maintained it very well. just logged in, my last login was 1-18-07

i'm moving and getting rid of my 110 gallon 60x17.5x25 tank. it was 220w AH supply and non CO2. never achieved that good of growth/color in the low tech setup. will be using the green leaf co2 kit with the new tank (any reviews?)

well after owning that tank i realized maintaining 110g was a pain for someone super busy with a full time job and tons of other stuff going on in their life. also moving around 3x while in college, and now eventually buying a home and moving again, its also quite the pain moving a 110 gallon tank.

switching to a 50gal tall, 36"x15.5x25.25. going to be reusing the 220w ah supply kit, but may only use 3 of the bulbs at 165w.

what are good black substrates these days? i really liked eco complete when i got into planted tanks in 2006. in late 2006 i switched to ADA aquasoil. i spent over $200 on the substrate for the huge tank. and it was a NIGHTMARE! the stuff clouds the water horribly. even now after using it for 2 years, it will still cloud the water badly when you pull up a plant. my water has NEVER been as clear as it was when i used eco complete. i will never use ADA aquasoil again. it really burned me out and kinda ruined the hobby for me as i was on a college budget and coild readily go out and replace the $200 substrate i had blown my cash on.

so other than eco complete, any new options these days?

how many 20lb bags of eco complete (or other units of another product) do you guys recommend for a 50g tall mentioned above. since its so tall (25.25") i'd like to get a good 4" of substrate in there so its easy to reach the bottom of the tank with my hands. i guess i could use some of the old aqua soild for the bottom 1-1.5" or soil. probably tons of good bacteria in there and will help with cycling the new tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Substrate Calculator: https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

There's also Flourite black or SMS/Pro Turface charcoal, Tahitian Moon Sand, blasting grit, etc.

I'm guessing you want to stick with EC or Flourite since they're more nutritious for your plants.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ok 3" i'll need 93lbs ~ 5 bags, 4" 123lbs ~ 6 bags.

do you see any problem with using my old substrate for the bottom 1"? then i would only need 2" worth of eco complete ~ 3 bags, easier on the wallet.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
No, no problems. That thick of a cap of Eco-Complete will keep the ADA AS down. I'd pick up the old substrate, rinse out any old, broken bits and only keep the bigger pieces. Of course, rinse it out with old tank water or else it'll kill the bacteria.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode