change or not - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
At the moment i have gravel and the plants a growing. i've been reading that flourite or eco are the way to go, also gravel is fine too. but the cost of flourite is like 10 dollars aus for 1 kilo/about 2.2bl. what i want to know is. Is it worth it to change from gravel to a flourite.will i see a difference. lighting ect will be of course upgraded. tank is 48x14x18 and about 2 months old. thank you. i have diy co2.
If it is recommened that i do change will plants be ok in a bucket or something larger with water from the tank for about 3 days maybe less hope so. tank is light/med planted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

You could just add one bag of Eco-complete or Flourite to the gravel you already have in the tank. Or you could just stick with what you have and add some root tabs to the gravel. In two of my planted tanks I mixed regular gravel with Flourite, 1 I used straight Eco-complete and the 12G tank I used regular gravel. I cannot not see that much difference in growth in these tanks. The only thing is if you use one of the specialty gravels you do not have to add the ferts right away & with the regular gravel you do.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I absolutely agree. IMO, you don't need Flourite or EC to grow beautiful plants, and vice versa, you might not see a difference when switching from gravel to a high-priced substrate.
Of course you will see a difference when you upgrade lighting! But with water column fertilization and a few root tabs for the heavy root feeders plants will grow just as great in regular gravel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 09:26 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
That is a huge myth !
You do not NEED flourite or eco-complete to grow beautiful plants.... for example, its the same as with cars, ideally it would be great to drive a Ferrari to where you are going but a Ford ops: will get ya there just the same.!

As long as your plants are supplied with nutrients they will grow.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:23 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I added a bag of eco complete to my exsisting black gravel. I like very much what it did. I saw a color change in my crypts in a few days and a few things that were kind of just there took off growing.

Before that I only had gravel just deep enough to anchor plastic plants. Knew I needed more when I went to real ones. Ordered it on line for less than half what a local petshop wanted.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for clearing that up for me, makes life easier now. thanks again

You can always add but never take.

Aussie Style

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode