mold, bacteria fungus?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
mold, bacteria fungus??

so im looking at my substrate and i see two spots one is about 2 by 3 inches the other maybe half the size of where there is this gray fungusy moldy looking substance. Im not sure exactly what it is. i did do a 50% water change and deep vacuum the substrate recently because i had a buildup of hydrogen sulfide due to dieing microsword. I just had a shrimp molt and i also just had a oto die from what im guessing is an illness that i never saw ( he was less than a month old) does anyone have any ideas? thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
No clue w/out a pic.

I'd vacuum it out, whatever it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ill try and get a pic before i vacuum it out, however im not sure if ill be able to get my camera to really focus on it i will try though!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so heres a pic after i got rid of the white stuff sorry forgot to take it before, but as you can see the gravel on the right is blackish and it smells strongly of hydrogen sulfide. So im guessing that the white stuff i saw on top was caused by the anaerobic environment of the hydrogen sulfide?

and so how do i get rid of this? my microsword used to be there but it was dieing so i got rid of it. Is this leftover root residue? how can i get rid of the black gravel thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	humuksnjadlkl.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	9878  

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i think ive answered my own question so ill post it for other people to see. I think the white fungusy stuff is due to uneaten food. I guess im overfeeding my fish and i dont have enough bottom feeders, i only have one kuhli loach and since ive gotten rid of my SAE i guess im feeding to much for the fish. i removed all the blackish gravel and washed it and im going to but it back into the tank and cut back on feeding. Im also going to get some more bottom feeders pygmy cories!!! im just worried ive released a lot of HS into the tank!! hopefully nothing bad happens
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Better check your water parameters before adding any new fish. You may need to do some more gravel vacuuming with water changes to get the wastes under control first.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode