Drying Fluorite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drying Fluorite

Hey guys,

Are you supposed to completely dry out fluorite after the initial washing when adding it to a new tank?

Or can I add water right to a tank with a soaked fluorite bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
Its much less messy if you dry it COMPLETELY first. Spread it out on a sheet outside and let it dry in the sun for a day. Then you can add it to a tank with or without water.

If you let it dry all the way through, when you plant, it won't stir up a huge cloud and give you mucky water.

110 Tall in progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Ya.....its kind of night now though. I dried it about 30% but then it started raining so I brought it in and its actually already in the tank.

I was thinking if I should take a blow dryer or just let it sit for a few days like that.

What kind of difference would it make, and just how cloudy does it get?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
The cloudiness is overrated - it settles out pretty quickly. I have two bags in my tank. I didn't wash the bag that's on bottom at all, and I washed the bag on top a little, but the water was still coming out mud brown when I got sick of it and quit. I didn't dry the bag I washed - there was actually still water in the bucket when I added it to the tank. The initial cloudiness settled in a day or two, and I don't get any real cloudiness when planting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuted View Post
The cloudiness is overrated - it settles out pretty quickly. I have two bags in my tank. I didn't wash the bag that's on bottom at all, and I washed the bag on top a little, but the water was still coming out mud brown when I got sick of it and quit. I didn't dry the bag I washed - there was actually still water in the bucket when I added it to the tank. The initial cloudiness settled in a day or two, and I don't get any real cloudiness when planting.
That's not the normal experience, especially if you're using the "old" red or brown versions. Even after FOUR YEARS my 10gal tank would cloud up like crazy if I disturbed the substrate too much. The dust settling on leaves killed quite a few plants over the years.

From my experience with the new black and black sand, they don't seem to cloud as much, but I personally will always wash it and dry it really well.

Chara- I'd probably give yours one more rinse to be on the safe side, and then when you fill the tank use a bowl or something to minimize disturbing the substrate, and I think you'll be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
it gets immensly cloudy, but as long as you rinsed, it settles within a few hours to a day (leave the filters off). then when it settles start planting.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
wow. I remember when I first got the stuff I didn't know better, just dumped it in and filled her up.

I'd say it took 3 weeks to clear up LOL
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 PM

I usually don't even rinse fluorite, I just dump it in dry and fill the tank REALLY slowly, using a paper towel on top of the substrate for the first few gallons. I am serious about the really slow part, I'm talking like a trickle here.

Once the tank is full, I use a gravel vacuum on it to suck out the smallest in the substrate and get rid of them before I plant.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 PM

I just added the brown flourite to my tank, but washed it really good before i did...The tank was cloudy for about a day...I've been arranging my hardscape and haven't seen much dust...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode