could someone explain starting up a tank with aquasoil amazonia II? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
could someone explain starting up a tank with aquasoil amazonia II?

i would like to redo my 20L, and i remeber seeing that AS isnt like other substrates where you just dump it in, add water, and put in something to rot for the bacteria.
do i understand correctly that AS will leach ammonia for a while?
how long does a cycle take with AS, assuming i dont use any biological starters?

also, what would you reccomend for getting the cloudiness to clear up the fastest?

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Here's a few threads to read through, I've been reading up too since I'll be cycling my 29gal with the same substrate very soon...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...ime-frame.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...cussion-2.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...al-months.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...-aquasoil.html

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok so a bunch of WCs and waiting.
ugh, i think ill have to wait for a vacation from school to do that then.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
well, you don't have to make it as painful as everyone suggests...all it really takes is a bit of patience. Sure you could hasten the process by doing multiple massive water changes, but you could just as easily do what I did and just "hurry up and wait."

When I cycled my 90g, I simply planted heavily from the onset and did weekly water changes. I put a couple of boxes (1400g) of zeolite in the filter, which didn't noticeably speed things up, but by maybe week 6 or so things had leveled off and I Was able to start adding livestock.

Some people have had success with the "shrimpnow" method, though I haven't tried it. Essentially, it suggests multiple, massive daily water changes for the first 11 days...if you have the time and patience to do this, by all means try it and see how it works out for you.

sounds like you've more or less got the idea though: water changes and time.

And I'd suggest dropping a bag of purigen in your filter to help with clarity, though to be quite honest I've yet to experience any serious clouding problems (and I even use the dreaded amazonia II - duh duh DUH)!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I just read up on the shrimpnow method (and I just posted it in my 90gal journal Marko- you may want to check that out) and I think it's important to note that he also did some bacteria-seeding along the way.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, i already use purigen in my filter. and i would definately use it with the AS.

is there a real difference inbetween amazonia 1 and 2, nutrient wise?
and i thought amazonia 2 clouds more then amazonia 1?
wow, amano couldnt make things simple, he had to make a substrate that requires as much research as everything else in the tank combined.

so according to the thing on your thread laura, if add a mature filter, rather then just a water taken from a mature filter, it should cycle really fast?
that would be great, if it happens. if not, im just waiting. no way im doing 100% WCs every day for over a few days.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

You're not going to be able to get around doing the massive water changes. Each batch is different (since it's an organic product) but some people have reported ammonia over 8ppm. Those type of levels will send your pH plunging, and inhibit the ability of the N-bacteria to do their thing. The large water changes help keep the water from becoming toxic to just about every living thing in the tank, with all that decomposition going on. From the reports I've read, your tank will start smelling REALLY nasty if you don't do them, too.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

oh.
ok large waterchanges it is. but if the filter media is established, it shouldnt take to long. plus it shouldnt be that hard since im not vacuuming the gravel, just sticking the python under the surface and letting it run.

wow, is it really worth it?
i have to try it though.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I'm pretty sure I'm going to start off mine emersed. If nothing else, it will be less volume of water to deal with during water changes LOL

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

that most likely wont be an option for me, since i will most likely have fish living in a bucket for a few days while the tank cycles (unless my tank has TB, then all the fish will be euthanized). but i would do that anyway. i like starting a tank completely underwater; if the plants are carpeted and thick and there isnt much flow around them when conditions change, they tend to algaefy for me.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I changed my 29 gallon over to Aqua soil Amazonia II a few months ago. Yes, it was a pain in the butt with the daily water changes, but the end results were astounding. Also, I changed as much as I could (70-80%). I got two 9 liter bags of the Amazonia II (normal, not the powder), a bag of power sand, and some super clear. I changed the carbon pad in my external filter every few days or so to help clear the water, and within two and a half weeks, the tank was clear, and ready to be cycled. At this point the ammonia was at 0. I put as many plants as I could in the tank to help absorb the ammonia from the start.

I put the shrimp in the second month and they are all doing fine. I still say that I like the Amazonia II alot, the plants are growing nicely and I use no ferts except root tabs and weekly water changes. I also try not to stir the substrate too much if possible. If I do, the water clears pretty quickly.

I plan on changing over my 55 gallon to Amazonia II maybe next year and changing it all over to a shrimp tank also, so I will be going thru the water changes again. If you look at all the types of substrate and other items here: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_home You can see all the different soils that they offer and the additives. If you have any questions, PM me and I can go into more detail about my experiences with it. Good luck!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thank you, you just answered a question before i asked it. i was wondering how much i should buy. since a 29 and 20L have the same footprint, i guess i will need 2 bags of AS.

ok so could you please explain what power sand does?
is it worth it?

does the green bachter do much? i might get it if it makes a visible difference.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

From reading some of Tom Barr's threads, it sounds like Power Sand is nutrient-laden but very quickly absorbed, so can provide a "quick boost" but then is used up pretty quickly. He doesn't think it's worth it.

Green bacter I believe is a bacteria supplement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode