Switching from sand to EcoComplete, cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switching from sand to EcoComplete, cycle?

I'm switching my substrates in my planted 90 from sand to Eco Complete. Do I need to worry about it cycling afterwards and keep my fish somewhere else?

I have some otto's some tetra's a couple dwarf gouramis and flagfish in there.

Thanks for your help.

PATIENCE IS KEY.... AND A GOOD ALGAE SCRAPER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
nope. eco-complete comes moist in the bag. keeping all of the bacteria in it alive. I have a WAY overstocked 10g tank (upgrading to 46g very soon), and i just took out all of my gravel and filled it with eco-complete immediately, refilled the tank, and threw my fish back in. (you need to put them in a bucket for a little while, its a lot easier to change the gravel in an empty tank.)

one thing to keep in mind is the tiny particles in the eco-complete. As soon as you put it in your tank, the water will turn completely opaque-black and murcky. TURN OFF YOUR FILTER before putting in the eco-complete! It will completely destroy it if you arent careful. I did several water changes before my water looked even close to normal, but i realized that all of the particles in the water that make it black settle down on the bottom after a few hours.

eco-complete is well worth it though... obviously. i mean the majority of planted tanks have it.

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
well... not the majority. but a lot of people do, and for good reason. its AWESOME stuff.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sweet deal.

Ya I started with sand thinking it would save me money (90G's need lots o substrate) but I'm unhappy with the plant health and haven't kept up with the root tabs. Plus I like to switch it up in there and that means finding and moving the root tabs every time.. I think the EC is going to make a substantial difference in the ease of care for my plants and more importantly the health of the plants.

Woot!

Ya I'll put the fish in a bucket and the plants on the dining room table...

But where the hell do I put the sand, lol.

(actually I think I'm gonna start a cichlid tank so there's some of it gone)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd keep a look out for a mini-cycle.

I'm very dubious about being able to keep aerobic N-bacteria "alive" in an airtight plastic bag...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

With the amount of work that went into changing the substrate out and scraping and cleaning all of my glass ( I had GSA ) I have totally stripped my entire tank and done a complete water change (or close to it) So I'm just going to assume it needs a full proper cycle again.. I did it all yesterday, haven't re-planted yet. I was in serious denial about the amount of work 'switching substrates' in a 90 would be.

Looks a thousand times better though, can't wait to start planting

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
much of the bacteria that you cultivate from "cycling" is on the filter media. As long as you kept the filter media wet, then you should not have much of a cycle if any. As long as that media/bacteria gets some food(ammonia/nitrite) within a day or 2 of being removed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode