Is laterite red I mean really red? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is laterite red I mean really red?

Hi there,

where I was working away this week (in the Otways for those who know Australia) in a rain forest a cleared patch of land. I was pouring 5 cubic meters of concrete (we were buggered lol) but in between trucks I got talking to another bloke (who incidentally has fish) and he mentioned there was 8 different soil types so i had a wander over the job site and found some really red rich looking clay and wondered if it was laterite and how I tell and how do i prepare/use it?

I was thinking of going ADA Amazonia but was just curious if what I saw was laterite and how I identify it in future.

Regards Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
laterite = fired clay high in iron

red clay = high in iron

So sort of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Laurel, hey hows the new tank coming?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
TLH

It's the colour of rust or thereabouts.

This colour...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks TLH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duzzy View Post
Thanks Laurel, hey hows the new tank coming?
Really well, thanks!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
i would haul some home,
it would be very wise to sterilize it becsue we dont know if there is any bad stuff in it that can reproduce in the tank, i would think that youd want to break it down into granules first, using a bucket and a small hand rake or a better tool if you can think of one. then rinse it compulsively and put a ton of heat to it.

i would layer it out on the bottom against the glass, about a half inch. then cover it with a sand.

the packaged stuff loves give off a big red cloud into your water if you arent careful with it. rinsing it well prior to putting in the tank reduces this very much.

the laterite you buy is a fired clay, they bake the stuff at 2000 degrees f. and it removes all moisture while still leaving the clay porrus, obviously these high temps are not attainable in your home oven but you could figure something out, ive got a high powered gas grill that can reach temps around 700 with all burners on and the lid closed. ( a lot of weber grills can do this) so it is possible to get a higher temp than your home oven using another common source of heat. maybe you can think of something better that can work. i think that this would be something rather done outside because of the mess and smell.

but i am not sure how crucial it actually is to get the clay 100% devoid of all moisture, as long as it can be layered out in the bottom of the tank and you have heated it up enough to cook all potential life out of it.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If you want temps over 1000 degrees easily use a small charcoal grill:

Take grill, pack the inside of the bottom bowl with wet mud. Allow the mud to harden. Leave holes open in the bottom. I prefer grills that sit on the ground with about 3 inches or so underneath.

Take small grate and put it on bottom for place to put coals. Then, place coals, I use about 40 briquettes. Stacked up in a pyramid. Then place rack over that and place product to be fired.

Then I light the coals, and place a high speed fan(table fan on high wil prob do the trick) to blow acrossed the path of the bottom holes. Keep the top vent just barely open. Should get your desired effect in no time.

I use this for working on my custom knife blades. I also have an oxygen driven smith's oven that will reach 3000 degrees. INsane how simple they are.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode