Help me with my inner turmoil over substrate
Ok ok... I have been festering over substrate choices for some time now. I was set on pool filter sand or play sand, but have decided I don't like the light color. My plan is low tech, no CO2, with Excel.
You know what would be great? A sticky post that lists the current substrate options, pros/cons, and personal experience. There seem to be so many options that I can't keep track of them all.
Here is what I am looking for:
1. Not messy. I want to be able to rescape without turning the water column brown.
2. Healthy plants (of course)
3. Medium to dark color
4. Cheap... I really don't want to pay the price of flourite/Eco
A few questions.
1. I can get Schultz Aquatic Soil locally, but I have heard it doesn't hold plants down well and is no more helpful to plants than sand. What are your thoughts on SAS?
2. Turface. Is this stuff as messy as flourite? I might be able to find some locally. I don't mind hunting for it if it saves me 75 bucks!
3. Is flourite black as messy as the brown stuff? How about the flourite black sand? If all else fails I might have to spring for flourite or Eco.