Layering? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Layering?

When I'm using expensive soils in my largest houseplants I will usually layer them with cheaper drainage in the bottom (gravel/sand) and top them off with pretty and cheap stones/marbles on top to prevent moisture loss.

How can I do this with substrate?

I was thinking of

1) Gravel mixed with root ferts
2)or placing the ferts here
3)layer of Flourite (my LFS only carries the red/brown ...)
4) Layer of black granite and light sand for color contrasting top layer

Is this ok for my root systems? I have read about sand crushing root systems because it can get so compact. Not really thinking of planting in the sand either so that's not a big deal. The granite is because of the poor availability of ANYTHING aquascape related here, I have 2 5 gal buckets of it left over from our wedding centerpieces (Also read:free), and I wanted black.

Should I dose fert in the top layer? Would this help planting success rates? How deep should each layer be? If it is dependent on the tank it is listed here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...96gl-free.html. I want to do pressurized CO2, a uv filter (because it came with the tank), and 2.5-3 wpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yes, you absolutely can layer substrates as long as you like the mix once they all mix together (b/c this is certain to happen over time). I mixed all black substrates in my 90gal (black gravel, Flourite black, Flourite black sand, plus black Colorquartz) and I personally really like the results.

Another option you may want to look into that's very cheap but yields excellent results is AaronT's mineralized soil method (Ingg on this forum used this on his high tech 180gal tank and has needed only minimal fert dosing this method is so full of nutrients).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Where is that listed?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You know, Aaron may not have posted his method over here, maybe some of us need to bug him about that... LOL

Anyways, here's one place to find it: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/foru...ubstrates.html

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I can't view it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Really? Maybe you need to be a member first...

Here it is over on APC: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode