Quality Controll~ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quality Controll~

Ok so i'm new to planted tanks I've read allot about the substrates as it seams it can make a big deal to "some" plants. I understand that ADA-as is the best, looks and quality. but what else is so good about Aqua Soil besides looks and the fact it lowers PH and maybe lasts longer. Does it have that much more of a nutrient supply?

could i get away with... im thinking a layer of peat with soilmaster select or Turface mixed with fluorite black sand? I thought this would be a cool look and i would get most the nutrients i need from the sand fining inbetween the SMS

Should i just shell out the dough for ADA? i mean i am a newb are my plants going to benefit That mulch on the substrate? I have a 20tall and a 10 to scape when all is said and done.

Shipping prices..... Y the heck doesn't ADA distribute their product to pet stores!!!!!!!!!!Money hungry meanies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
Plants will grow in kitty litter and river dirt. IMO, the ADA substrate isn't really worth it. Do more research and you'll see that you can grow amazing plants without spending a ton on the substrate.

Some examples...
-River clay
-Walmart clay kitty litter with a cap
-Flourite
-Laterite
-Certain potting soils with a cap

110 Tall in progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks makes me feel a little better.. just wasn't sure if i was going to regret it later

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
i use playsand as a substrate in all of my tanks that costs 5 dollars per 50 pounds at the hardware store and grow excellent plants.

when it comes down to it, plants can take in nutrients from the water column as well as the substrate. some plants like swords are heavy root feeders, that's what fluorish tabs are for. other than that my plants recieve all of their nutrients from the water column.

a nutrient rich substrate is not so important when you are dosing ferts into the water column multiple times weekly.

it is needed for low tech setups where you dont want to be dosing EI ect. and want something that more or less takes care of itself without much attention.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode